Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: has anyone designed an electric hood for the 33

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone designed an electric hood for the 33

:I have a problem with the way the hood works on the 33 and wondered if anyone has come up with an electric hood design.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With my blower setup the stock opening system didn't work so I made up my own hinge design. It's not electric, but could probably easily converted by replacing the struts with actuators (hmmm, now you have me thinking..... )

2012-05-11_14-14-24_894.jpg

2011-11-02_17-12-05_722.jpg

video of the operation:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...UwNm13TGZ0X3Vn

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way FFR has that hood hinged would be difficult because of the last horizontal push, but, Arrowhead is on to something with the rear hinge. 12V linear actuators with a spring or air assist would be slick. I gave it some thought, but then I changed the whole front end after that. With the rear hinge you could probably just use a simple single actuator set up. With the front hinge it will take a little more belly button lint and some Dr. Seuss ingenuity...

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrow I enjoyed reading your build and what a sweet ride. I only hope that when I start it comes out that good. You were busy going to shows and SEMA that is great. I sure would like to know how you come up with the idea of your rear hood mount. Great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lesr7 View Post
    :I have a problem with the way the hood works on the 33 and wondered if anyone has come up with an electric hood design.
    What a great design. Did you use the factory five latch system on the front? Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pair of electric actuators might be difficult to synchronize. Also, if one fails, there is no way to open the hood unless you have a removable hinge pin to disengage the actuator. If you look at electric trunk openers like those sold by Carolina Customs, they all have a removable pin, but you also need a hole in the trunk floor, so you can reach in and remove the pin. My car is set up that way.

Hinge systems that hinge the hood from either side have been around for a long time, but they may only work with steel or aluminum hoods, that are most common with nearly all other '33 bodies. I have a side hinge on my '37 with fiberglass hood, that I made myself. It even allows me to install the hood by myself.

I have seen linear actuators operating a side hinge like mine, but the problem then becomes how to latch the hood. The actuator can't apply the force needed to close a spring loaded latch pin. Trailer queen cars avoid that problem by not having anything to hold the hood closed on the opposite side, from the hinge.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan...BoCSfsQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by DaveS53; 11-02-2017 at 10:08 AM.