BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another Coupe Road Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Another Coupe Road Trip

This past long weekend, the Coupe(#621) and I went to Arkansas with the Gateway Cobra Club (GCC) for the Fall Arkansas Supercruise 2017. It was a great time.

There were cars fro St. Louis, Kansas City, Arkansas, Springfield, and Texas. 15 in all.

We based out of Harrison, Arkansas and drove the hills of northern part of the state.

The trip specs: 1050 miles, 17.9 mpg, about half highway miles, and half 2 lane blacktop.

It was great! I now realize my number one goal needs to be to autocross. (I intended to do that this summer, but it didn't happen)

Here are the pictures. (Acknowledgement to the Paul and the GCC for use of some of the pictures.)

We took over most of a parking lost at the hotel

The first drive was to Big Cedar Lodge, where we lined up in a row. Of course, a crowd gathered.

We were able to enjoy this scenery over ONE beer (or O'Douls). (Sorry, I couldn't figure how to reduce this picture)

Then we got to DRIVE through the water.

Or in the case of MPTech, waterski !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The next day, it was up and down hills until lunch at Gastons Resort on the White River.

Again, park in a row!

By the way, the two coupes were painted by DA BAT!

We were treated to white table cloths for lunch!

And even had our own menu!

Saturday was 27 degrees. So people were bundled up.

Lined up again on Lookout Mtn to search for Elk in the valley below.

Any gas stop attracted people and took much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday, the weather gave us a gift. It was 26 degrees! However, we took off at 8 am. Single file. All in a group.

Ended up here, at Cliff House, for a great hot breakfast!

The colors were spectacular! The GCC did a fabulous job organizing this. Everyone had a great time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Wonderful photos of what looks like a great event with really nice and twisty roads. Thanks for sharing.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures and overview. Really wish we could have joined in the fun. Next year we should have our MarkIV ready to participate. Talk about a small world, we were at Big Cedar for dinner Saturday night. Drove through the same spring pictured. Surprised there was nary a trace of a single Cobra ever having been there (no black stripes anywhere, which is probably best so as to be welcome back).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob looks like fun
    Where are the pics of the Lynn ?
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    God times Bob!
    Who's was the other coupe?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    Where are the pics of the Lynn ?
    Mark: Lynn didn't go. Couldn't get off from school.

It's probably a good thing, too. This was a total learning experience for me. Required 110% concentration and attention, overcoming my own fear on the 2 lane black top roads, and learning from the other drivers. She was disappointed in missing the scenery and the restaurants and asked to go along next year. I only said "Probably not, unless I do a ton of autocross before then. I can't afford any distraction on those roads!"

John: Who's was the other coupe? It was Mike Moen from Springfield. He and his friend Kerry Peterson(he has an unfinished coupe) came along Friday. Mike drives these roads with ease.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Good friends, good cars, and good roads. Life just doesn't get any better than that.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like

great time

I was fortunate enough to meet up with Bob and gateway cobra club on Friday. I left my home in springfield, 65 miles away from harrison, predawn and motored into Arkansas. Out of all the time to drive the coupe the sunrise / predawn jaunts are amazing. All this coming from a guy that despises doing anything before 10 am. In Arkansas I picked up Kerry P. and we made our way to Harrison to meet up with the st louis crew. Most if not all were out and about getting ready for the drive as we pulled into the parking lot. I met up with Bob and had a good laugh at how warm everyone was dressed. Being the only two coupes we were able to drive in style, no jacket or gloves needed here. I made sure to let it be known the all their wives that if their husband's loved them they would buy a coupe to help keep them warm.

We cruised the back twisties thru northern arkansas and made it to Gaston for lunch. After a photo op we pushed back to Harrison arriving at the hotel before sunset. We said our goodbyes and I made the trek back to springfield.

Just over 350 miles that friday. over 200 miles of twists and turns. One road sign actually read "Crooked and Steep roads ahead". I thought only in Arkansas. The roads were truly fun. None the less I arrived home whooped.

Cant wait for next year.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking I need to drive out for this next year
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob-

Thanks for posting the pictures and details of the trip! It looks like a great time, and I am jealous!

The pictures look awesome; the views are really incredible, and of course all the cars together are impressive.

Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, It was great meeting you and the rest of the travelers. My favorite time was when you and Mike were running in line. I'm pretty sure people were saying "never saw nuthin' like that before!" when you went past, then Mike's car was right behind. I was fortunate to be shotgun in Mike's car. It's quite well sorted and he knows how to use it. Driving it is a real motivator to my lazy old butt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that paint POPS
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like great fun. Hope you guys are still cruising in a few years when I finish the Challenge Car. My last long cruise was 2014 and I'm getting a bit antsy to be on the road again.

But is it always so cold? 26 degrees, I'll have to find all season tires and fuzzy underwear.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    Man that paint POPS
    It actually was a collection of POPPERS! This is from a video that Tim (Purple Venom) posted on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0dhCH5ivli4

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like a ton of fun; thanks for taking the time to post some photos and write it up.