Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jack Stands - Best Recommended Locations

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Stands - Best Recommended Locations

Hey everyone, Setting up to start my 33 Hot Rod Build and will be setting up my car on jack stands so I am asking all those wise builders of 33's what is the best spots to support the frame until I can shoes on it? The rear is evident however I have seen a couple different locations for the front so they don't interfere with any of the build and maintains a stable position. As I don't want to move it once I start I would appreciate knowing the most recommended, I have good space for this build. TY!20171027_184302_resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    AJT,

I would put the front ones as close to the front as you can with out getting in the way of building the front suspension. The problem you will find is that with the rear end being so light that putting much weight on the front, like torquing suspension bolts, will lift the rear off the stands. I found that when building my front suspension that I had the front stands in two different places and it depended on which side I was working on.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    AJT,

I would put the front ones as close to the front as you can with out getting in the way of building the front suspension. The problem you will find is that with the rear end being so light that putting much weight on the front, like torqueing suspension bolts, will lift the rear off the stands. I found that when building my front suspension that I had the front stands in two different places and it depended on which side I was working on.
    Awesome, much appreciated. I saw a photo in the forum where a pair was placed at the firewall location then another forward of that similar to one of the pictures in the manual however there were no recommended locations in the manual (Guess I will be sending them a recommendation for improvement ) As well at a forward location it will need to be secured so as not to slip too. TY.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, you need to start a build thread. That is where the guys in the know will point things out to you as you go about your build. When I was about to start the front end suspension was when the guys told me to move my jack stands. Then before I torqued them up they pointed out that I needed to add the grill supports.

The build threads are where most of the knowledge gets passed along.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    By the way, you need to start a build thread. That is where the guys in the know will point things out to you as you go about your build. When I was about to start the front end suspension was when the guys told me to move my jack stands. Then before I torqued them up they pointed out that I needed to add the grill supports.

The build threads are where most of the knowledge gets passed along.
    Awesome VERY Much appreciated. Sunday will be officially "Day One" so I will be starting to post then. I am very lucky as I was able to build a small shop for this project that I will be doing with my son, took me 5 years to get it together but now the fun will begin!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AJT '33; 11-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    See, now you are just showing off.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I just realized something too... Your a Gemini like me!! Oh Crap!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used my lift to hold the frame during the build of my conventionally-framed car. Never used jack stands for anything. If you want a car to sit in it's normal position during a build, using mock-up bars in place of the coil-overs is a great idea, that I rarely see anyone do here. I even did my final wheel alignment with the mock-up bars.

I also used my lift to drop the motor into the frame and hold it in place while I built the half of the motor mounting brackets that I had to weld to the frame. A 2-post lift is great to have.

If you won't have tires and wheels for a long time, consider making some mock-up discs from 3/4" plywood. You can make the exact diameter needed, if you can pick most-likely tire sizes. I did just the opposite and bought tires and wheels first, so they were available for the entire build.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 11-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this, but need suspension first. Did not want to tires and wheels around that long.IMG_7211.JPG
    It is good to have car suspension when building.

Post Thanks / Like
    All, after a little research this is where I ended setting the jack stands, good space and quite sturdy, now the fun begins.
    20171105_151925.jpg20171105_151932.jpg20171105_151942.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    All, after a little research this is where I ended setting the jack stands, good space and quite sturdy, now the fun begins.
    20171105_151925.jpg20171105_151932.jpg20171105_151942.jpg
    Two more to be safe;
    The 33 chassis is light enough that IF you put an engine in it like that the back could rock up off the rear stands.
    It's also true that an 8.8 hung from the back first could rock the front up of those stands. Those stands are mostly
    "out of the way" but there are still potential ways to off balance that layout. Find some way to block under the extreme
    ends of the chassis until you have all the suspension on the car so that the bulk of the weight is not all in one spot.

Even torqueing the front spindle nuts can cause the same result so don't get caught off-balance with bad results.
    Be safe
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only used 3 stands and kept a spare engine in it to hold it down so it wouldn't jump around Dale!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    I only used 3 stands and kept a spare engine in it to hold it down so it wouldn't jump around Dale!!
    I hope it was a useless hunk of iron like a ford or chevy engine.
    Gimmeee three steps mister------------------------------
    Dale