Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil pan recommendations for a SBF 302 (don’t break the bank!)

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pan recommendations for a SBF 302 (don’t break the bank!)

Looking for a good recommendation for a oil pan, 302 SBF. (MK4 Roadster, T5)

Pictures Please!!!!!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you looked at Milodon stock replacement pans for the 302-SBF?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-30720

I have used them on SBC for years.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video I did on my 347 engine build, same as 302. The pan was a dorman unit costing 60 bucks from americanmuscle.com oil pan review, compared to summit racing and others. My pan cleared my girdle as well. HTH

https://youtu.be/h5mleFuFOWQ?t=9m20s

Buy it here. https://www.americanmuscle.com/oilpan-8495-v8.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch ebay. I got a brand new mustang style double sump pan and pickup from eBay for $50. It was a take off from a crate motor or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to drive your FFR like it is a Grand Marqui or similar those pans will be fine. I'd look for one w/ at least a few simple baffles in it.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/home.php?cat_id=8
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    All good options, thanks for the reply’s guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Milodon 30720 oil pan on my 302 (actually 306) powered Mk3 build. Pretty reasonable ($130 at Summit), fits well, baffled, and level with the 4-inch chassis tubes. FWIW, also highly recommend the Felpro OS34508R silicone/steel gasket to go with it. Never leaked.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to respectfully disagree. There are thousands of 302 foxes tracking all around the country in scca budget races and these pans have been just fine. I run a larger filter for additional capacity and still managed message a girdle on the main caps. Forums are always full of alternate facts and that marquis quip is very wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. There are thousands of 302 foxes tracking all around the country in scca budget races and these pans have been just fine. I run a larger filter for additional capacity and still managed message a girdle on the main caps. Forums are always full of alternate facts and that marquis quip is very wrong.
    Wow, talk about getting it wrong. Thanks for that example.
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have a hard time dismissing as alternative facts the recommendation of two of the most respected forum members due to some obvious hyperbole, and get the pan with the baffles. But that's just me.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    Wow, talk about getting it wrong. Thanks for that example.
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    I'd have a hard time dismissing as alternative facts the recommendation of two of the most respected forum members due to some obvious hyperbole, and get the pan with the baffles. But that's just me.

John
    I dont disagree with the veterans of the forum. That is why I used the word "quip." It means a witty remark. The OP stated he wanted something inexpensive. I gave him a great example of an inexpensive pan. You are just making my point as to why to stay away from most forums. Tony Zullo and I were just having this conversation the other day. There is always a disagreement and now we are off topic... smh

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the comments starting in post #8 were meant for me. I suspect not, but always better to quote someone to make sure the intended response is clear. But just in case it was, along with the comments about staying away from the forums, let me say this: (1) I'm quite careful to only give advice about things I have personal experience with and usually have pictures since I take a bunch of them. You can choose to disagree if you like (which I have no problem with!) and for sure there will be other opinions. I too sometimes get a little tired of the back and forth, and sometimes just outright bad advice. But I wouldn't write off the forums quite that generally. They have been a valuable resource for me. Just learn to be discerning. (2) The Milodon 30720 I recommended is baffled and unless you're doing something really extreme, is going to do a good job. As I stated, I cited that one because I've personally used it and can vouch for what's inside it and how it fits. It's a good budget pan, which was what the OP asked about.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-01-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry I offended you. I certainly didn't mean to. Back in 07 I spun a rod bearing just after I bought my car from the original builder w/ 4000 miles on it. Admittedly it was a front sump pan w/o baffles, but I haven't forgotten the aggravation and tons of work that caused. I bought the road race pan from Breeze and have now survived 10 years of autocrosses on R compound tires. OTOH, EdwardB's pan sure is a more economical alternative.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys, Im being too sensitive, no worries. I am gonna drive the hell out of my Marquis oil pan though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am gonna drive the hell out of my Marquis oil pan though.
    Quote of the month.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of thoughts here...The OP never said what he was looking for in a pan, only "don't break the bank". So he's obviously looking for some value. Stock is certainly the least expensive. He can probably find something free. One can assume, since he made the post he's looking for something other than stock that is a good value. Several have been mentioned. I opted for Gordon Levy's (Champ) pan, based on reviews on this forum. It has worked very well. The problem with an oil pan design, you don't know if it's good enough until you find out it's not in the real world. That usually leads to a large expense. So listening to the people that have already found out seems to be good advice. Aside from oil control, adding extra capacity is always a good thing.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the Breeze offering:

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=892
    It is 7.5" deep which comes just flush with the bottom of the frame rails, and the drain plug is on the side of the rear sump. It works with the standard Mustang 5.0 pickup.

Regarding the Milodon - nice find! It is however 7.75" deep, and the drain plug appears to stick down another 1/4" or so. Also this pan requires a pickup which adds a little to the cost but yes it is still a lot less than the Breeze/Canton.

Stock replacement Mustang pan is 8" deep with a bottom drain plug.

I considered offering the Champ pans once. The one they sent me had a hole burned in the side from welding the baffle and that was before plating. Also the box was shipped in was a flimsy single wall and I would have had to re-package every time so due to lack of quality control and probable shipping damage on every pan I stuck with Canton.

In the end, you get what you pay for.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am gonna drive the hell out of my Marquis oil pan though.
    You won't be able to respectfully disagree with the condition of your crankshaft bearings and journals after much driving the hell out of it.

You don't have to believe CraigS or me or anyone else - all you have to do is set up a go-pro (or whatever) to video while you're driving it hard so you can later review video of what your oil pressure gauge was doing.

An autocross would be a good place for this, watch for the oil pressure to drop in the corners and / or under heavy braking. If you don't see it at first, continue to watch for it as you get more comfortable with the car and stop once you've seen what you didn't want to see.

Another recommendation for all the road race baffles and gates you can afford (for anyone who's gonna "drive the hell out of it").

This one has been working well for me - lots better than before I had to polish the crank journals and replace all the bearings due to oil pressure sag from driving the hell out of it with a stockish oil pan:

https://kevkoracing.com/collections/...pan-302-engine

I also recommend paying very close attention to installed oil pickup height.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mike223; 11-04-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added heavy braking

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys, Im being too sensitive, no worries. I am gonna drive the hell out of my Marquis oil pan though.

I am gonna drive my Marquis pan for another 40,000 miles. I drive it like a cobra though😀

The only issue I have had is that Damn Jeep passengers doors that pulled out in front of me😕
    FFinisher/AKA RE63