Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this normal? Crooked hood opening

Post Thanks / Like

Is this normal? Crooked hood opening

I have my body on the car now and I noticed something strange. In the picture you will see that my hood opening is lopsided. To make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me, I measured from the left and right side of the hood opening down to the nose of car, and sure enough there is almost a half inch difference. At first I just thought the radiator support bar was welded a little crooked or the body was mounted crooked. Definitely not the case.

Is everyone elses like this? IMG_3649.JPG

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How is the body sitting on the chassis?

> Is it sitting a little skewed or is is sitting square.
    > Look at the door latches area to see if the distance to the body is about the same on both sides where you mount the door strikers.
    > Also, eyeball the rear axle location, within the wheel wells, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    How is the body sitting on the chassis?

> Is it sitting a little skewed or is is sitting square.
    > Look at the door latches area to see if the distance to the body is about the same on both aide.
    > Eyeball the rear axle location, within the wheel wells, too.
    Hi Steve,

Body is square on the chassis. And my measurements I took are all in relation to the body itself. Its like the hood opening is stretched in that spot. really weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Is everyone elses like this?
    Yes, they're all like that. If it bothers ya' the Breeze upper shroud does a good job of hiding it. And in case you don't already know---the hood opening is not cenetered on the upper 3/4" square tubes either.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes, they're all like that. And in case you don't already know---the hood opening is not cenetered on the upper 3/4" square tubes either.

Jeff
    Holy crap! Wow. I centered the front of the body by measuring from fenders to shock mounts, as instructed. I didn't realize they opening wasn't centered. Why is it that the hood is lopsided/stretched in that spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes, they're all like that. If it bothers ya' the Breeze upper shroud does a good job of hiding it. And in case you don't already know---the hood opening is not cenetered on the upper 3/4" square tubes either.

Jeff
    I'll look at mine when I get home.
    Hummmmmmm??????

Post Thanks / Like
    just looked at mine its the same as yours

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed it too, but Breeze’s shroud helps dress it up and I believe it also helps route air that enters the nose go through the radiator.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Not going to lie, I had was starting to freak a little. Thought I would have to bring it up to FF and see what goes on from there.

So I guess it's good that they are all crooked? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was visibly unaligned at the front of the hood opening, but here's a pic that shows how the Breeze upper shroud panel helps mask that area. I powder coated my shroud and modified it with a pin and washer to look more like the original Cobra radiator mount.

And, with the forward opening hood in place, the mis-alignment is totally gone.....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So the issue hides in plain sight once the hood is on the car.
    Good To Know or GTK for the acronym speaking folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bodies are crooked everywhere. Best to not “EVER” pull out the tape measure. The excuse that is usually thrown around is that the body is an exact scan of an original and the originals were made by hand. Whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Thanks guys. Not going to lie, I had was starting to freak a little. Thought I would have to bring it up to FF and see what goes on from there.

So I guess it's good that they are all crooked? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight. I will absolutely throw every excuse in the book at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine have all been the same as well. What you're seeing is a combination of the body not being very symmetrical and the radiator cross brace is usually not straight from side to side. If you look at where each end is attached, you'll probably see it's not the same on both sides. Can't say there's any reason for it. Perhaps it's another one of those hand placed pieces and there's some variability. Regardless, doesn't matter and the recommended cover hides it. The cover is a good idea anyway for better routing of air through the radiator.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto Gents,

Just came up from the Wrench Swinging Man Cave and the body opening for the hood is less than symmetrical.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you wanted a replica of a Cobra. It wouldn't be right if it was straight or symmetrical.

I remember when I noticed mine. Same reaction as you had. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a mistake, doesn't need to be square. It is the way it is because it is designed to use a 5.0 radiator. A lot of little things lead back to the roots of the kit....and they need to stay that way until FFR stops going with a doner build advertising. Maybe another five years they will drop it. Hood on, hinges in the way nobody can see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info everyone. Good info about the 5.0 radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Looked at my 289 #8955 last night, tube is straight vertically and horizontally, and parallel with the body. Must be defective! I did order the complete kit, if that has any influence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    Looked at my 289 #8955 last night, tube is straight vertically and horizontally, and parallel with the body. Must be defective! I did order the complete kit, if that has any influence.
    The 289 body is a totally different even though it shares the frame with the MK-4 (427).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post

289 is a complete kit with radiator , no doner option

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the 289 frame was different?