Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with power rack extenders

Post Thanks / Like

Help with power rack extenders

Just picked up my new (rebuilt) rack at auto zone. (Only took 2 tries to get one as labeled at 3.0 : 1 ratio - thanks for that heads up!!)

Removed the inner tie rod to add the extender only to discover a drastically different thread size than is on the extender.

Ever seen this? Wanted to check here before I take it back and try and explain why I want my money back after removing the clamps that hold the boots on.....

Auto zone part 6406 - 1993 mustang rack
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the data sheets for the MOOG inner tie rod ends as follows:
    Moog EV117 for 1977 to 1993 Mustang - rack end is 15/16" 20R (Outer end is 9/16" 18R)
    Moog EV127 for 1998 to 2004 Mustang - rack end is 15/16" 20R (Outer end is M14 1.5R)
    So the rack end that the extender threads on is 15/16" 20 Right hand thread for Mustangs 1977 thru 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't bother to measure, but just looking at the extender that is the size. My threads are way smaller diameter - closer to the 9/16 but didn't measure. Both ends of the tie rod appear to be identical - but the outer end would not thread in backwards to the rack. Must mean one end is metric......

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0331.JPGDidn't even notice until I took this picture to show the size difference - My rack has female threads - manual shows male threads. Obviously not the correct rack even though it looks like it would have bolted straight into the mustang as all dimensions look the same!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good find, are you going to take it back to them. They provided the wrong rack. Good to know if I ever decide on going with power steering. Going to have to make sure they are accountable to the right part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought have you considered ordering the rack from FFR I wish they would have offered the power steering rack when i build mine

It would have been much easier than getting the correct rack,installing rack extensions and longer boots, cutting the tie rods etc

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm aware of racks from vendors like breeze but not ffr. Part number for a power rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the power steering kit from FFR, rack, pump, brackets, hoses, belt and reservoir, for $399. That was an upgrade price (instead of manual rake). Sku # 16137
    The steering shaft adapter is also different.... was also included.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 11-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark at Breeze would be another great option

It may cost a little more than doing it yourself but would save a lot of time and hassle

I’m not sure of the FFR part number I would just give them a call and ask

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 11-02-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FYI the power steering racks fromFFR are back ordered til later this month.(since I picked up my kit on 9/11/2017. I’m told there has been a problem raw materials.