FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine build 351C stroker

Post Thanks / Like

Engine build 351C stroker

Has anyone a proven list of parts for a 408 stroker built from a 351 C? I'm looking for a high-perf setup for a street/ trackday racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can help with that if you want to give me a call. I do have to ask why you want to use a Cleveland instead of a Windsor?
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    The Windsor platform has a much larger aftermarket support, and you can make just as much power if not more due to the aftermarket support. My 461 Windsor made 645 hp and 655 ft/lb. It's not 408 CI, but it does show you can make good power with Out going with a platform that is less supported.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to weigh in here only because I have a 351 C in my Detomaso Pantera. The aftermarket support for the 351 C is abysmal. It is unfortunate because it is potentially a very strong performance platform with the right set up. Edelbrock and Trick Flow do now make after market heads and there are some fairly reasonable hydraulic flat tappet cams out there. Hydraulic rollers are very limited but you will find a few. The stock block has some internal oil passage issues and most of the early blocks suffer from thin areas in some of the cylinder walls. All that said, I've had good luck with mine as a reliable performance platform. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of Gordon Levys 408W motors in my Cobra. More power than can honestly be used on the street but it is a strong motor. Tons of endless power. Never had it on the dyno but he advertises 540 Hp and after driving it now for 1500 miles I believe it is every bit of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run a Cleveland based 393 in my MK4, and this is the second one I have built (the other was for a 1970 Mach 1). It is true that aftermarket support is better for the Windsor platform, but there are plenty of speed parts out there for the Cleveland also. Back when the C was first developed, it outclassed the W engines because of its free flowing head design, but with the availability of aftermarket heads for the W, that advantage is all but gone. If you have a nostalgic connection to the Cleveland, I say go for it, but be prepared to spend a bit more $$ and a bit more time searching for parts. I am happy to offer tips (and help spend your money ) should you decide to go in this direction. PM me if you wish.

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    frankb.....You say "If you have a nostalgic connection to the Cleveland"....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT !!! There was a time in my life when you say "351 Cleveland" and my heart would race.....and still when I hear it my eyes close and I smile like remembering a high school sweetheart.....I know ! Vietnam, riots, war protest, Kent state........to escape you could go drag race your Ford with a Cleveland......those were the days !!! "CLEVELAND" The little Big Block that Could !...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Bat:

My eyes are glazed over!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank you indicated your running a 351C, I'm trying to get a straight answer as to the motor mount locations on the 351C versus 351W engine. Some say their the same some say not? No one really knows for sure. Did you order your kit for the 302/351W and the 351C fit? Much Appreciated, Pitbull

Post Thanks / Like
    Pitbull: The engine mounts (and locations) for the Windsor and Cleveland are the same. Back when Ford built both the W and C engines, they built them to interchange in the Mustang and other models that had the C option. FFR will tell you that they don't support the Cleveland, but it fits (it's tight,but it fits), and you need to provide your own headers (I built mine). PM me if you wish.
    Last edited by frankb; 12-16-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    frankb.....You say "If you have a nostalgic connection to the Cleveland"....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT !!! There was a time in my life when you say "351 Cleveland" and my heart would race.....and still when I hear it my eyes close and I smile like remembering a high school sweetheart.....I know ! Vietnam, riots, war protest, Kent state........to escape you could go drag race your Ford with a Cleveland......those were the days !!! "CLEVELAND" The little Big Block that Could !...da Bat
    Amen Bro! My first car & love was a 71 Torino GT and you can bet your bottom dollar, that when asked - I threw that Cleveland out proudly. Lots of memories flood back with that car; drag races, fights, girls...good times...usually in that order...

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 12-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Burner
    Back "in the day", the Cleveland cylinder heads were so much better than the Windsor counterparts and were the big advantage;the "Boss 302" was born for Trans-Am racing. The other advantage was the Cleveland smaller (2.75") main bearing diameter vs.the Windsor's larger (3.00") diameter...at very high engine speed (rpm), the smaller bearings lowered bearing surface speed. Unfortunately the weakness of the 351 Cleveland was the lack of priority oiling of main/rod bearings created by a common oil galley with the cam bearings. At high engine speeds, main/rod bearing failures were attributed to oil starvation.
    There are well documented methods to address the oiling issue and if you intend on using this setup for track days, probably something you should consider (or keep engine speeds down).
    Fast forward to today and the many high flowing Windsor cylinder head options greatly reduce, and in some cases eliminate, the cylinder head advantage. So the Cleveland, if modified accordingly, could be a great choice if you intend to run this engine at high rpm frequently/extended periods would be a great option. Otherwise the Windsor option might be worth considering, would likely be less expensive.
    It is hard to ignore the magic of the Cleveland engine and would make your build a bit more unique. At the end of the day, it is your build and you should put whatever engine (or any other parts) you want in it, good luck!