Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vman's '35 Hot Rod Truck Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Vman's '35 Hot Rod Truck Design Ideas

I'll have to update this post once I get everything for the '35 truck organized.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-12-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The more and more I look at the FFR creation and compare it to the REAL thing, the more I see that they have hit the mark, but of course this is still a Hot Rod that every builder will be able to make their own!
    1935ReoSpeedwagon_01_700.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AJT, FFR did a very good job overall! a few areas that could be improved on, but just like all the other cars FFR comes out with, they get better over time as FFR "tweaks" on them

The truck you posted is a 1935 Reo Speedwagon. Here is a link to the story behind that one.
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/1...eo-speedwagon/

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 11-03-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now that I have had some time to really go over the FFR pictures of the truck and have seen the mockup of the fenders (glad they went with the '35 and not the ones for the 33 )

Like always my brain went into overdrive, with ideas ....lol

So I guess I'll have to get David H. to change the thread title and move it over to the '35 Ho Rod Truck Forum.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-10-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to let people know I updated post #4.

Not sure when I will get to some of design ideas etc. I really won't know until probably mid Feb. after my next surgery (which got put off since Jun 2017 due to other health problems) and the detailed findings on my Dec endoscopy and colonoscopy. I may do a thread in the Off Topic section later on crazy health stuff since end of Jan 2017....been living at the VA....rofl

Bottom line......God always has a plan

I'll send David H. a msg to get this thread moved.

I hope everybody had a great Christmas and New Years!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to David Hodgkins for moving this thread and changing the title. Thanks David

Gee Whiz.......I guess I'll have to start getting stuff together......lol

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Chopped Tops

Last edited by Vman7; 02-12-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chopped Top Comparisons

Enjoy!
    David
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-12-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the chop looks amazing, but I would be worried about head clearance. I don't know how tall the gentleman is but he looks cramped.

https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...2/FFR_2612.jpg

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    I think the chop looks amazing, but I would be worried about head clearance. I don't know how tall the gentleman is but he looks cramped.

https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...2/FFR_2612.jpg
    That's Dan and yea, he's over six foot. BTW I was actually at FFR yesterday and the nice bench seat that was in the truck was only temporary and is being revamped to lower the seat height considerably in the production model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 35 hot rod really interests me. And, of course seeing the pics of an original restored has really piqued my interest. Is anyone looking to get close to the original in their approach or plan to stick with the SEMA version.?
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of neither. I think I am going to go with red body/bed and tan cab in a 2-tone look.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/60...16728000f8.jpg

And if you ever find yourself in Minnesota - I'm just north for 94 right over the Minnesota, WI border. I should have the kit in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    The 35 hot rod really interests me. And, of course seeing the pics of an original restored has really piqued my interest. Is anyone looking to get close to the original in their approach or plan to stick with the SEMA version.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I may have to look you up once you get rolling. I'm placing pins in a map as I look for places to drive my cobra...as the weather gets nice.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    The more and more I look at the FFR creation and compare it to the REAL thing, the more I see that they have hit the mark, but of course this is still a Hot Rod that every builder will be able to make their own!
    1935ReoSpeedwagon_01_700.jpg
    I have been following the threads on the 35 truck, as I'm sure several people have. It would be a great project for my son and I. But, I really like the restored version in this pic. So, I have to ask whether the FFR version can be built to closely resemble the original, that is closer to a pick up truck vs a street rod.

More importantly, if an original version is doable, would the cost be enormous? And, is anyone doing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to decide between the GEN 2 33 or the 35 truck. The rendition of the 35 chopped is fantastic. Has anyone looked at the feasibility of this? Are there metal supports in the fiberglass in the top or in the door frames? How much of a project would it be? I have a ton of fiberglass experience but this would be a whole new challenge. I'm thinking especially about how you would join the roof back together and extending. If anyone has researched this I'd sure like to hear your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I would think would be involved.
    There is a whole roll cage on this chassis, so you'll be cutting the back pipes, removing the front pipes and rewording in a new one at the new rake.

Items to do:
    Cut rear roll bars
    Install new front roll bars with a new rake
    Cut all 4 posts of the cab
    Re-rake the a-pillars
    Cut the door frames
    Re-rake the leading top edges of the door frames to match the new a pillar rake.
    New Front and Rear Glass
    New Side Glass
    New side window adjustment as the amount it lifts will be down

Also, When I am sitting in mine, I feel pretty low and visibility isn't great (b pillar is huge). It's also very low. I'm not sure it needs a chop.

If you want something with a chop - wait for what FFR is going to do with this: 20180921_120448.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the GEN 2 33 or the 35 truck. The rendition of the 35 chopped is fantastic. Has anyone looked at the feasibility of this? Are there metal supports in the fiberglass in the top or in the door frames? How much of a project would it be? I have a ton of fiberglass experience but this would be a whole new challenge. I'm thinking especially about how you would join the roof back together and extending. If anyone has researched this I'd sure like to hear your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was thinking of 2" from below rear window around to doors to keep rear window the same. Taking 2" from door frames and top of A pillar. Extending roof and top of door frame to meet back up with A pillar to keep the pillar rake the same. Not really a fan of the laid back look. Would need to cut 2" from windshield and door glass but could use the same glass. Was not aware of the roll bar issue. I have not seen one of these in person yet. Whats your head room when sitting in it and how tall are you?

I think the major challenge would be extending the roof the inch or so needed and maintaining original strength.

Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dose anyone have a good overall picture of frame & roll bar without the body on it? Ive looked through the build threads but cant seem to be able to find one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at this video of my first start. It has a decent look at the cage:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyXWgKAQeB/

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, thanks. Think I'll fly out with my check book this spring and make a decision then. Been following the 35 build threads and looks awesome. Think that's what I'm leaning towards. The new Gen 2 makes it a hard choice though Been looking at these for years and finally in a position to blow some hard earned cash. Got to finish a shop to get all my woodworking equipment out of the garage and make some room. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    how tall is the shifter you got ?? how much higher will you be with the seat??my truck is still in shipper hell
    so what you got for engine and trans ?? what did you use for headders ?? hope to make some changes but it seems like we are in a expensive world now gonna use a stock 302 and trans untill I get a minnesota inspection

Post Thanks / Like

New Design Ideas

Going through all of my older 33 Hot Rod Designs and getting new ideas for the 35 Hot Rod Truck.

Panel Truck - Which is hard to find any real good pictures for 1935. There are some to at least give me an idea of how one looks. More than likely it would be custom. Especially the rear. Instead of a double door look, it would have a fold down lower half with an upper hatch. The fold down half could double as a seat. The upper hatch part would of course have one window just like a 33 panel delivery, which would help some in seeing out the back.

Woody - Same goes here for very little pictures for a 35. So it would be custom. Pretty much would be close to the 33 woody design I worked on, but could be either slanted in the back or straight down like a 35 wood panel truck. Not sure about a 4 door version since the chassis is so high in the back. Think of the same idea I had for the 33 woody for the roof. Which would be a one piece fiberglass top with or without a visor.

Chopped Tops

Custom Bed

Smooth Bed Sides with Rails blended to cab curve & shape

Extended Cab

Visors

Hard Tonneau Covers

Wood and metal bed stakes

Custom running boards and side steps for fenderless or bike fender trucks

Custom Taillights

Custom Bed mount Fuel Tanks

Custom Exhausts Stacks, side exhausts

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-31-2019 at 04:57 PM.