Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Compartment Size

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Compartment Size

Going to be installing a 351W with a Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a Holley 750 cfm carb, any issues with fitting in the compartment, interference with hood?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a popular combination so should be good to go. Hopefully someone will chime in w/ details. Mine is not the air gap model. In back of your mind keep thinking about air filters and distributors. As you use drop bases for the filter, the size of the cap can be a problem.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-47622/overview/
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same set up 351w, air gap intake, except I'm using an Edelbrock 650 carb jetted as 750. I'm pretty sure a drop base air cleaner will get it low enough to clear the hood but in my case Whitby Motorcars in NC is modifying the hood and setting back the scoop 3-4 inches for this to clear. I visited Whitby recently and they explained they have made enough space so it wont hit when the motor moves from torque and it wont be noticeable moving the scoop back on the hood. I hope it looks and functions okay when complete.
    air cleaner hood.jpg
    air cleaner.jpg
    hood 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Like David just stateted, it can be tricky with the Air Gap. The other problem we have seen with the taller intakes is you have to run a smaller air filter.....so now you are going to rob horsepower by restricting the breathing. I prefer stock shape intakes. Most of the driving is between 1600-2400 RPM. You don't get the advantages of a higher rise till you start getting up into the 3500-...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dart 351w/427, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 750. A small spacer under the air cleaner to clear the distributor cap (about 3/4 inch or less). No engine mount shims, but a 7/8 inch trans shim. Fits even with no hood scoop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 11-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    With poly mounts and a proper air cleaner the Air Gap intake will have clearance issues. The Air Gap is approx 3/4" taller than the RPM Performer Intake. We ended up dropping the engine 3/4" in a friends build using solid mounts but you still need to be aware of oil pan clearance when you do that.

My setup is with the RPM Performer and Poly mounts. I have about 1/4" clearance at the passenger side of the hood scoop. And that's with a modest non drop base air cleaner. If you do go with a dropped base you need to use a smaller diameter distributor than the MSD coffee can sized one I used.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Going to be installing a 351W with a Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a Holley 750 cfm carb, any issues with fitting in the compartment, interference with hood?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 11-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.