FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brett's 818 REBUILD kit #212

Post Thanks / Like

Brett's 818 REBUILD kit #212

So I finally did it!

I have been hanging around for quite a while, originally my plan was to build the 33 but my plans and budget just couldn't match, that dream isn't over just on hold ....

I bought a 2005 Saab 9-2x about 6 months ago with the idea that i would use it for some time then dismantle and use as a donor.

Well that plan has changed, with the support of my loving Girl Friend (tired of hearing me talk about building my own car for 4 years since we met) pushed me to make a move.
    I ended up buying a partially built 818 with a 2006 donor, new plan is to tear it down and start fresh keep my Saab as a winter vehicle.

I will get the car registered as quickly as possible ensuring the car is safe and will pass all of the inspections i will have to get through in NJ. Eventual modifications include switching to an automatic I have a bad left leg and long term enjoyment of the car will have to be an automatic transmission but figured following the build plan first will help with registration purposes

working in a tight 1 car garage, My house has a 2 car garage that half was converted to a man cave room and for now it will stay that way but i have the option of tearing down the wall either whole or partially, if it is needed.

My 818 is getting delivered tomorrow, I have spent the whole week cleaning my garage and organizing tools to prepare. My delivery driver called me tonight a scheduled time to drop it off and he said it was the hardest vehicle he has ever had to trailer, so many people were tailgating and pulling up beside him to check out the car that it was extremely difficult to merge or fill up the gas tank. I am so excited to start this journey and i would really like to thank everyone for their assistance in the silly questions I have asked in the past and all the future assistance with all of my questions i will have in the future.

I am located in NJ about 10 miles from Philadelphia. I will figure out how to add some pictures over the weekend and get this build thread officially started!

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome Brett is this the one that was for sale in chester area? good luck with the build

Post Thanks / Like
    No from Florida, my shipper just arrived and to my surprise he broke the front end in 2...

So my question is how much for a new front end? or to repair?

damaged front end.jpeg

and he forgot the keys!!!

Now how much should i be asking for in return for the damage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I can't believe the amount of damage! Broke it straight through. Call FFR and get quotes for new parts and bill your shipper for that. Then you need to add in $$ for labor. It will cost more to fix than the shipping cost I bet.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Brett, that is the Gen 1 front bumper that Factory Five may not have now because all the new 818 kits now have the Gen 2 front. Call FFR to check.
    Plan B: maybe someone near you has upgraded from Gen 1 to Gen2 and will give you a good price. Shipping would be expensive and risky, so near enough to drive is best.
    Plan C: Find a shop near you that can repair the broken fiber glass. For an experienced shop, it's not difficult.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete, I was thinking the same thing about the bumper. Realistically I just want a fair price for the damage caused. I shouldn’t have to come out of pocket to fix his mistake. He mentioned $100 to my gf before I saw the damage but I am thinking it should be a little more. Just looking for thoughts.
    Last edited by Brett33; 11-04-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    You might be able to get the supplies To fix it for around $100. 20 hrs labor is another thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't user "insurance guy" trying to sell his front end since he changed over to a coupe? He's in New Jersey I think.

I could be totally wrong.

Yep. Just found his thread. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...urance-guy-818

I would see if he still has his front end.
    Last edited by wirenut; 11-04-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Found what I was looking for....

Post Thanks / Like
    For got about him. He hasn’t posted in a while. I just pm’d him. Thanks guys off to a great start only slight regret setting in...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey sorry for the damage to your new toy. I upgraded my front end and would be willing to sell my old front end? I am in VA so not real far from you. Find me a track event and a warm day and I will come to you. Lol. Anyway good luck with your new toy.

Post Thanks / Like
    NJ Motorsports park in Millville NJ is about 30 minutes from me and i hear they have great events. i am going to try my hand at fiberglass repair there are a few places on the body that will need attention anyway but i will certainly take you up on the offer for a back up Send me a PM with what you are looking to get for it. It will be a while before I really need them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the old front bumper is about 700.

BTW, can you list me all inspection rules you have to comply to in NJ? Very curious to add another Country or State to my list of "easy" registering places in the World.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank is nothing like your list. Just a 1 page checklist that that is vague. The car should be fine during the 3 hr inspection if I do this all correctly. As the owner I can not witness inspection just pass or fail. It’s more the office workers losing your original paperwork that must be mailed or not knowing the rules.

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey tnx Brett, nice for me to know!
    3h is still a very long time, but I can't see how you could fail!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    well it has been a long time since i have updated this thread....
    Thanks to a few forum members I was able to get a new front end. Clutch was completely shot so replaced that and got a brand new flywheel bunch of little changes here and there to get the car i feel comfortable driving. Put in a lot of work and had some stages where i couldn't find time to get out into the garage. I was laid off from work and took some time to find something new but it slowed down the parts purchasing a bit but that time has passed and its time to start putting the body back together. hope to get it registered in early spring and join some of the Philadelphia area meet ups. rolled it out today while it was sunny and 50 for a while, still a lot to do but this forum is amazing and thank you to all that contribute to it.

Brett

took a cool picture today too when the car was just sitting side by side with my daily driven 2005 saab i originally bought as a donor.

818saab.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are back at it Brett.