FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5mt linkage help ...

Post Thanks / Like

5mt linkage help ...

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I have the FFR optional (k-tuned) shifter trying to figure out this linkage issue.

shifter.jpg

linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

So right now i think the throw of the shifter is to short so i will adjust. I disconnected everything to get a fresh start but i dont know where to start, i cant tell what gear the transmission is in but i assume Neutral because it starts.

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    When you move the shifter forward, you want the cable to pull the same direction forward at the back.
    When you move the shifter to the right, you want the shift mechanism to move the shifter clockwise at the transmission.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear clicking But it wont hold into a position. the shifter will just center itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    pedals1.jpeg
    does that blue plug need something plugged into it?
    pedals2.jpeg

I noticed my clutch pedal seemed low stepped on it a few times and it finally came back to a regular position now it seems to be working ok.
    Still so confused on why its not staying in gear or finding a gear...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if the K-tuned has a different set-up at the rear, but that linkage isn't assembled remotely correctly for the standard FFR shifter. If you have the manual, it's in there pretty clearly. The only thing that makes me question is the additional welded on portion, which might be something for the K-tuned.

The blue clutch plug is what cancels cruise control when you press the clutch. The white one on the top that is plugged in should be the switch that prevents you from cranking without it depressed. Not sure why it's not working.

You should be able to grab the shifter linkage coming out of the back of the transmission (put a punch through the hole if that plate isn't attached) and move it through the gears easily, even if you aren't sure which gear you're in.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm 99% sure I know what car this is and you're probably only getting started on the surprises like this. Every component of this thing will need going over and review.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it was bought for parts was just trying to take it for a spin around the block before I take It all the way down to frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clutch safety switch is stuck in so that will need to be fixed!! thank you for the help with just shifting at the transmission made me see how it works, so finally was able to adjust things enough to get the car to roll forward in 2nd and reverse.
    Shifter stills feels weird and doesnt stay in the position of the gear but I will start over eventually with the instructions for the shifter.

Next issue is the CV joints i am assuming they shouldnt be able to be pulled out from the transmission with just my bare hand but i am really not sure. assuming i am missing a clip or something. parts numbers would be helpful i have the service manual i will check it tomorrow. thanks for all the support guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett33 View Post

Next issue is the CV joints i am assuming they shouldnt be able to be pulled out from the transmission with just my bare hand but i am really not sure. assuming i am missing a clip or something. parts numbers would be helpful i have the service manual i will check it tomorrow. thanks for all the support guys
    There is a wire ring the acts as a detent..
    See the one on the left in the picture.

ring.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    02-04 Donors use a roll pin through the inner cv, not a circlip.

They look like this:
    3824034290_f6809ab30e.jpg
    And while the splines line up every way, the roll pin hole will only line up one way so if you have this style, when you get to this point make sure that hole is clocked correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys! So just to confirm, If I have about 3/4 of an inch play on both sides, while on the ground, with little effort I am assuming it is missing.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you can see the roll pin hole in the top right of the picture phil posted.

the pin is hard to miss

if you are sliding the axles in and out and its missing you should see the hole in the stub at a certain point. unless they are installed wrong.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s an 06 donor. I’ll do a little more digging tonight if I ever get home.