FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Summary of First Full Season of Driving My Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Summary of First Full Season of Driving My Roadster

Yesterday I took her out twice and one that involved a bit of a drive through the backroads of interior Maine. While there has been a bit of a chill in the air in the early mornings, I have found my most enjoyable driving experiences have been of late. Likely it’s partially due to becoming more and more comfortable driving. My initial drives this summer unfortunately we’re plagued with power steering hose issues (twice an d bit my fault) and a loose power wire to the fan. Since addressing while I enjoyed my rides I was often thinking what else will go wrong. A few times on the highway my mind has wandered to what if I have a catastrophic failure? Paranoid I know but having put every nut and bolt together myself, one sometimes wonder these things. She has been a lot more stable now and I think Inhave worked out any kinks. Now the summary is as follows:

- What a bloody blast to drive. That’s my description and I am sticking to it. She has plenty of power, handles really well and being someone who loves almost all roadsters, FFhas down good with this one.

- Yup it’s a head turner. If you want attention you will get it, if you don’t want attention you will get it. Kids to grown-ups will give you the thumbs up to stopping to ask what is it? Or is it real? You may get the odd one that walks away after you tell them you built it but whatever.

- It’s comfortable, at least for me. I’m not a big guy and fit like a glove in the cockpit. I don’t know how some of you big guys fit into but for me at 5’ 7” and 155lbs, it’s perfect. I have found I really like how small of an interior it is as the one thing I am doing in it is driving. I am not on my phone, drinking coffee, having a conversation with my passenger, I am driving and that is the essence of the experience With these cars.

- I have found while I have always considered myself a good driver and have driven all sorts of vehicles, from cars to trucks to a 40ft RV towing a truck, I find myself much more attentive while driving the roadster. Even yesterday while entering interstate 95 I let her loose a bit in third and thought I will check the speedo, nope not going to happen. I was so focused on merging onto an practically empty 95, I did not get a chance. I do know that when just before changing to 4th, scary power and speed would be the description. Having raced bikes many years ago, this brought those memories of those pocket rockets. To quote a great show, “Be careful out there”.

- The community has been and continues to be awesome. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable resources that volunteer their knowledge via posts, PM’s and phone calls. This is what makes FF great and allows many of us to build these beautiful vehicles. Thank you to all of you who have and continue to make this happen. You know who you are!

- The speedo is showing just over 2000 miles so I put on 1500 or so this summer. Not bad but not a lot due to some of the issues I had earlier.

- What would I do diffferent? Take the build slower, I miss it. Sure there are frustrations but when you get over those and eventually get to go-cart stage, you’ve built a car! Seriously not a lot of people do this so it is a big feat especially for those of us who are not gearheads. I would change my dash layout to comp or something that allows me to see both the tach better.

- What am I glad I did? The color, love it and am very happy. The 351w that Mike and Jesse put together is great. The upgraded the cam to one of his custom racing ones and she has the lope and power. Going with 15” tires, really love the look and the MT’s are decent. Yes there is less selection but I like the look of more rubber. Gas-N pipes are awesome and would not change and Georgie is great to deal with. Upgraded to Wilwood brakes from Gordon looks good and performs good.

Hopefully I get another few times out before the snow flies. I’ll keep driving her as long as it’s safe, no ice and no salt/sand on the roads.
    Last edited by KDubU; 11-06-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up. The car looks great too. And you nailed it on the head, these cars are about driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome write up. Congrats on your first driving season. My feelings are very similar to yours. It doesn't get old. Pretty sure I'm done for the season though. Oil change and winterizing started yesterday.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loved the write up, Kyle. I absolutely agree with everything you described in terms of building and driving the car. Given 90% of my 3000 miles have been on the roads of Western Maine, I have found the car to be a joy to drive, at any speed.

Looks like we have some nice driving days left this week. The seat heaters work very well. As you stated, the build is almost as fun as driving. So, when do we start our 33 street rod build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
    I can really relate to the paranoia of a failure for something I put together. Hasn't happened and I find myself thinking about it less and less. I am at 3200 miles and while I thought I would be driving less as winter approaches it was still 80 here yesterday. Thinking I won't really have to put it away all winter but just have an occasional week or two I deem it to cold to drive.

Your statement about the FFR community is right on. For me that is probably the most pleasant surprise of the build process. Going into it I didn't really consider that I would have so much help available. It has been nothing short of spectacular and now I have this network of friends around the country and we all share our love for the Cobras.

Like you I am really missing the build aspect. Need another project!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you have enjoyed your first summer - they just keep getting better. Sure, there can be a bit of de-bugging on these things, but that's all part of the process of getting them dialed in. Once you do, the miles will just keep rolling under your tires. I hit 10,000 this summer - my third on the road - and I'm trying hard to keep it on the road for at least a couple more weeks before packing it away in the trailer for its winter slumber.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Kyle,
    Thanks for the summary, that is a nice finale to the build. I look forward to the experience. Part of the build process includes the "sorting" that happens when you start driving, I fully expect some sort of issue, hopefully nothing major. You live in a beautiful area, visited briefly this year while on a cruise, and is one place I would like to drive to back to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review!

I concur with your thoughts on the forum. The help I've received on here has changed a few situations that could have been fairly frustrating events to an easy processes. That's awesome.

I've heard several people say that they wish they had taken more time on the build. I'm trying to take my time and savor it, but it's tough when I see everyone else speeding ahead of me. =)

Are you saying you'd do a comp dash where you could see the speedo and the tach? Just taking notes for mine. =)
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscobra View Post
    Loved the write up, Kyle. I absolutely agree with everything you described in terms of building and driving the car. Given 90% of my 3000 miles have been on the roads of Western Maine, I have found the car to be a joy to drive, at any speed.

Looks like we have some nice driving days left this week. The seat heaters work very well. As you stated, the build is almost as fun as driving. So, when do we start our 33 street rod build?
    Hey Rick,

Unfortunately I am in Bowling Green KY th next two weeks on business so not sure how many days I will get in still. Hopefully we’ll have a green Christmas. The 33 is nice and I really like how it lends itself to wild paint schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Great review!

I concur with your thoughts on the forum. The help I've received on here has changed a few situations that could have been fairly frustrating events to an easy processes. That's awesome.

I've heard several people say that they wish they had taken more time on the build. I'm trying to take my time and savor it, but it's tough when I see everyone else speeding ahead of me. =)

Are you saying you'd do a comp dash where you could see the speedo and the tach? Just taking notes for mine. =)
    Correct. I would change to a comp dash for better visibility of tach and speedo.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You've built one heck of a car and given us a heck of a perspective as a 1st time builder.
    While I must admit that I am more than a bit jealous of you, your 1st driving season motivates me even more.
    I need that motivation right now so thanks for posting your recap.
    May You Have Many, Many More Driving Seasons!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    KDubU, good to hear you are enjoying it.
    I just rolled 25k on mine a week ago and clicked of another 200 miles on Saturday. Averaging about 5k a year.
    Saturday was kind of an ugly overcast day, but did warm up to high-60's, so that's good enough to get out and enjoy it with some fellow club-members. We were in Northern Arkansas / Ozarks last week for our annual SuperCruise (drove down and back and a couple fair cruises each day for 1,000 miles in 4 days). It was 26* when we left Sunday morning, nothing a heater, seat heaters, and multiple layers can't conquer. Not what I want to do everyday, but we enjoyed it.
    My wife is more of a fair-weather rider, but she has done some cold mornings too.

I've had 2 break-downs that required a flat-bed ride home, surprisingly, both were less than 3 miles from my house. One was a Coil that just died and the other was a ground short that knocked out my Mega-fuse. But that's what AAA is for.

I did my first Auto-X earlier this year and that was a lot of fun that I plan to repeat as often as possible!

Build it, Drive it, and Enjoy it!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Kyle . . . that's what we all love to hear; another builder has made it thru his (or hers) first season and still loves the car. Yes, they require a complete going-over when first on the road and Yes, you may find little things that crept by you during the assembly process. But, that being said, you have a car that you built, a car that is different then almost everything else out there. Be glad the things that showed up were little inconveniences and not major ($$$) issues.

Enjoy it for as long as the weather will allow . . . be safe.

15 years in my MKII and going on 30K miles - still lovin' it to the max.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove mine a few weeks ago for the last time on its 4th season. A cool sunny morning. A two hour drive to lay it up for the winter. It is more and more fun to drive with every mile you put behind the wheel. Some great memories of 2017 to reflect on;
    - Slipping into reverse and backing into the early spring sun shine. Doing a complete check over knowing "there will be nothing to do but enjoy". What an amazing product these guys from FFR have made.
    - Show and shine Tuesdays. Just need to remember to get there earlier next year for the prime parking spots.
    - The look of excitement and shear joy on the faces of kids at the car shows and weekly show and shines when I ask if they'd like to sit in it. " Give me your camera and I'll take you picture".
    - Another 1,500 mile road trip to Ohio in an open top roadster.
    - Weekend road trips to the Muskokas.
    - Hitting the drag strip and realizing I have no clue what I'm doing. The adrenaline rush is comparable to skydiving.
    - Teaching my partner how to drive stick in a 490HP cobra look-a-like. She loved every moment of the experience.
    - Having my 92 year old father ask if I could take him to the Super market in the roadster. And then have him say he'll stay in the car in the parking lot while I do his groceries. RIP dad. I'll miss you.

I hope the next 22,000 miles are as much fun. Who am I kidding?
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 11-07-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome story, thanks for sharing, cannot wait to get mine on the road soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story. On the gauges, I have the old standard dash. I put the tach to the right of the steering column and rotated it so my shift point is when the needle is straight up. The speedo has the lower third or so blocked but above 40mph or so I can see it fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Now the summary is as follows:

- What a bloody blast to drive. That’s my description and I am sticking to it.

- Yup it’s a head turner. If you want attention you will get it, if you don’t want attention you will get it. Kids to grown-ups will give you the thumbs up to stopping to ask what is it?

- It’s comfortable, at least for me. .... I am driving and that is the essence of the experience With these cars.

- I have found while I have always considered myself a good driver and have driven all sorts of vehicles, from cars to trucks to a 40ft RV towing a truck, I find myself much more attentive while driving the roadster.

- The community has been and continues to be awesome.

Yes...to each one of these.

Great write up.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and perspectives. We're just getting started, received our kit last week and hope to begin making serious progress with the time off around the holidays. While I'm always looking forward to the holidays, working on the Cobra, as a family (wife and two adult sons) is the best present I could get, yet your review reminds me that it will be the experience next summer of driving it, that will be the crown jewel of our efforts.

Cheers,
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,

This is a great thread! I am on my second season, my first in paint. Drove a lot this summer and went to a handful of car shows. Had a blast every time I take her out. My 14 year old son decided to give her a name in honor of the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. He named her Julia. I also had a bunch of people ask if it was real, I really like the answer that "I don't take my real one out to Target", I will have to remember that one for next year.

I too sometimes have a creeping doubt still when I drive the car that something really bad could happen. This year I discovered my DS rear wheel nut was loose, I had to re-tighten. I say trust your gut, If something is telling you in the back of your mind check it out.

One thing I have not done is post my car photos for graduation. I really need to do that.

Last month me and 25 other cobra owners did a road rally around the scenic covered bridges of Bucks County Pennsylvania. There is a really great feeling when you are with other owners and you are in a parade of cobra awesomeness. Everyone honks and gives thumbs up. Other cars will actually stop traffic so we can all travel together. It is something special.

I hope to get one last ride before the cold really sets in.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kpt112; 11-10-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We all know winter is coming but, any of you that can, keep the FFR ready to go. There will be some days during the winter when it's cold, but sunny, and the roads are clear. Layer up, look like a fool, and head out for 15-20 minutes. 1/2 throttle max. That's all it takes to really give you a winter boost!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. This was my first "season" even though the best driving here in Florida is starting. Cooler temps, lower humidity and much less chance of rain. I purchased my MKII already built in early May. I agree with everything you said. Especially if you want attention, you'll get it. If you don't want attention, you'll get it. My favorite is someone wanting to have a conversation from two lanes over while stopped at a light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing Kyle. I am just getting into my build and your write up is a great first hand experience reminding me why I am doing this.
    Ron
    MK4 # 9181 - Complete Kit - 408 EFI, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 2017-10-06
    Build Thread - http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...499#post299499