BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Respirator Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Respirator Advice

Hi Guys,

The body is on, and I am trimming, cutting and drilling. All of this creates a lot of fiberglass dust. I am using one of those surgical type masks, which is probably not sufficient. Any recommendations on a respirator I can use for all the sanding and dust? Maybe something that can also be used for paint.

I am getting lost on amazon and different ratings. Any help appreciated!

Scottie

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When grinding Fiberglass I always use a standard respirator, not a dust mask.
    You don't want those wonderful particulates to be inhaled so that they can reside in your lungs for the rest of your life.
    You can pick up a good quality mask at Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Profe...A1-C/206408987

Note: Taking a vinegar bath reduces the itching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, ill run into the store on the way home

Post Thanks / Like
    You could order this from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/North-Safety-...700+respirator
    And get you some P100 filters. They are pretty comfortable and lightweight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    You could order this from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/North-Safety-...700+respirator
    And get you some P100 filters. They are pretty comfortable and lightweight.
    Ah I see. So the p100 filters are for dust. But I can use this for paint by changing the filters, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all I am NOT a model of good personal protection practices. I will usually put on a particle mask for the initial cut/blocking of gelcoat and when cutting or grinding fiberglass. I generally go "commando" (c'mon Miller , make a comment about that) when sanding filler and polyester primer although I know that I shouldn't. Despite my rather cavalier attitude when dealing with particulates I do always use a respirator when spraying to protect against isocyanates. I use 3M 60921 respirator cartridges and change them out frequently (pretty much after every car). Do your research on NIOSH TC-23C and remember---you will be overexposed before you smell it.

I used to shoot laquer and acrylic enamel without any sort of protection (which according to my wife explains a lot about how I got to be this way!!!).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    First of all I am NOT a model of good personal protection practices. I will usually put on a particle mask for the initial cut/blocking of gelcoat and when cutting or grinding fiberglass. I generally go "commando" (c'mon Miller , make a comment about that) when sanding filler and polyester primer although I know that I shouldn't. Despite my rather cavalier attitude when dealing with particulates I do always use a respirator when spraying to protect against isocyanates. I use 3M 60921 respirator cartridges and change them out frequently (pretty much after every car). Do your research on NIOSH TC-23C and remember---you will be overexposed before you smell it.

I used to shoot laquer and acrylic enamel without any sort of protection (which according to my wife explains a lot about how I got to be this way!!!).

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I just ordered those filter cartridges and a mask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to respirator filters and cartridges; http://www.respiratormaskprotection....ence-Chart.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    NOW I understand.

I think I was just born this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    The filter on the end of my cigarette does the trick for me....that , and I can hold my breath for three and a half mins....but that's me. Particle mask is enough for grinding. Anything with filters is for organics .

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.