BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5pt vs 6pt harness

Post Thanks / Like

5pt vs 6pt harness

I got my Kirkey 47's and new harnesses. I bought new belts because a) I wanted a sub belt and b) I wanted a rotary latch. The belts are from RCI and are sold as 6 point, but you can cut one belt off and make it a 5 point if desired.
    The Kirkeys have slots for either 5 or 6 point.

Let's discuss some pros n cons of 5 point vs 6 point, especially from those who have used both. Brackets and mounting and all that is not an issue, since all the stuff for the sub has to be custom made anyways.

BTW, I've never autocrossed but might like to someday for fun. Have done some drag racing and would like to thrash the Boss sometime...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that 6 points is mainly so the family jewels can go between the two webbings. Depends on how close the frame mountings are to your body. My 5th belt mounts far enough ahead on the floor that the jewels are not in danger. I think that is because we have a pretty upright seating position. So our lap belt keeps our hips from moving forward and the main roll of the crotch belt is to keep the lap belt from riding upward when the shoulder belts are tightened. OTOH, think about a formula car where the driver is nearly horizontal, and the crotch belt really plays an important roll in him not sliding forward in a crash.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig. I saw something like this in doing some research. The way they explained a 6 point was with a drawing of a driver in a Formula car.
    I also tried sitting in the seat, just on the kitchen floor, and couldnt really get the double leg strap to work well, even with the straps just hanging loose.
    I'm leaning to just the 5 point. Thanks for the input.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Craig about antisubmarine belts in upright seating and will only switch to 6-pt when NHRA starts requiring them. And as for cutting a 6-pt to make it a 5-pt -- don't do it! If this is a SFI certified system you will void that cert by making any modification. Won't matter in a street car but if you want to run this car in a sanctioned event you may not pass a tech inspection. Also you mentioned drag racing and if you have any desire to drag race that car at an NHRA affiliated track when finished then you should spend some time with the rule book now while you're still building. NHRA is not as easy going as SCCA Solo and they have some specific guidelines on how a restraint system is to be mounted (among other things). Better to plan ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's something for you guys that are still building and want to incorporate either 5 or 6 point belt systems into your seat positioning . . .

As you can see, the "anti-submarine" belt should NOT be mounted ahead of the driver but rather below and to the rear of your shoulder line. This ensures that the anti-submarine belt ALWAYS PULLS DOWN on the lap belt. Doesn't matter if you are sitting straight up or at an angle, as the shoulder belts raise up as your body moves forward, they will pull the lap belt up. This causes the lap belt to instantly crush your abdomen as it rides above your hip bones, possible crushing your spine.
    IF you are going to run an anti-submarine belt, do it correctly . . .

Just my 2¢ - an probably not worth a plugged nickle.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-12-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.