Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: stock fuel vapor canister

Post Thanks / Like

Question stock fuel vapor canister

Need some more help!

So where did you guys mount this monstrosity? Picture would be great.

also where do i run some of this tubing?

Where does the wiring from the bottom run i cant find the info in the FSM.

In NJ i believe i need this stuff to pass inspection

fuelvapecan1.jpg

fuelvapecan2.jpg

fuel 3.jpg

fuel 4.jpg

any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got rid of it and replaced with a GM canister. I'm going to have to take photos, because I didn't find any on my blog. I thought I documented this somewhere, but the GM canister I put on the firewall behind the driver. So far working well.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted too soon, here is the link for what I did: Gas Tank Venting
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a custom made tube with a screen and aquarium charcoal in it. Has been on the car for three years and NO smell of raw fuel, and is also a rollover spill prevention when properly positioned
    B8A8261F-950A-4FE2-9664-46FF0A192686.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the Roadster guys are using the "aquarium type" setup on their vent line . . . 1-1/2" PVC capped with [small] drilled holes at the top end, capped with fitting to gas tank at bottom end, charcoal from aquarium store inside. Works perfectly on mine for six years now (but probably time to replace charcoal). NO gas smell at any time here in Vegas.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ I did the same thing on my 818 and it's worked perfectly. Much smaller and lighter and easier to tuck away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice idea going with the small "pipe bomb" canister. Without an ORVR system, you don't need much of a canister. (ORVR = On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery, the system that captures all the hydrocarbon vapors when refueling). I'm surprised that the aquarium charcoal does much. The automotive canister is filled with "activated" carbon that is able to attract and hold hydrocarbon. A more automotive solution would be to use the carbon from the OEM canister inside the pipe bomb.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have struggled with this fuel vapor issue as well for my 289 FIA. This year at SEMA, I asked around with some of the hot rod guys how they address this problem. The overwhelming response was a product called "II Much." It's available from Summit, of course, but is pricey. This is what it looks like installed. Does anyone have experience with this product??

20171108_131535.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yamaha scooter canister off of ebay connected to the vent port on the fuel tank - works great and is compact!
    IMAG1396.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you everyone for the suggestions, i think my main concern is/was passing emissions inspection without everything connected but i think its down to me getting the codes deleted, building or buying a smaller canister and finding a nice place to mount it. if anyone from NJ has any first hand knowledge that would be helpful.
    I think my main smell is coming from the tank fuel level sender. I ordered o rings to get a better seal.

brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I have struggled with this fuel vapor issue as well for my 289 FIA. This year at SEMA, I asked around with some of the hot rod guys how they address this problem. The overwhelming response was a product called "II Much." It's available from Summit, of course, but is pricey. This is what it looks like installed. Does anyone have experience with this product??

20171108_131535.jpg
    Is ther a purge valve being used too? It looks like there is no purging of the hydrocarbons from the canister. My guess is that it gets saturated with HC and then simply acts as a buffer over it's lifetime. Daily temperature fluctuations and fuel use would not allow enough clean air in to purge the canister.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Are there 3 hoses going to your canister? If so how are they hooked up ?

Thanks
    Glenn