Engine Factory

Visit our community sponsor

Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Turning Radius?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340

    Turning Radius?

    Hi Guys,

    With the manual steering rack from FF, does anyone know what the turning radius of the car is? When I drove the car yesterday (with the body on for the first time!) I noticed that at full lock, the car really doesnt turn much.

    I assume this is par for the course?

    Thanks!
    Scott

  2. #2
    Senior Member edwardb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Posts
    3,752
    Doesn't really matter which steering rack you have. The turn radius is going to be limited by how far the wheels can turn in the wheel wells. The rear of the inside turning tire hits the F-panel when cranked over, and that's as far as you can go. Pretty common to put limiters on the steering rack to keep them from hitting. Maybe check yours and make sure the tires are turning in all the way to the F-panels. Is your alignment completed? That could make a difference too I guess.

    In multiple years of driving these, I've never felt like the turning radius (e.g. while parking, etc.) was all that bad or an issue at all.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-13-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. Red/white club for the third time. #8674 Build Thread

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Doesn't really matter which steering rack you have. The turn radius is going to be limited by how far the wheels can turn in the wheel wells. The rear of the inside turning tire hits the F-panel when cranked over, and that's as far as you can go. Pretty common to put limiters on the steering rack to keep them from hitting. Maybe check yours and make sure the tires are turning in all the way to the F-panels. Is your alignment completed? That could make a difference too I guess.

    In multiple years of driving, I've never felt like the turning radius (e.g. while parking, etc.) was all that bad or an issue at all.
    Rear of my tires kiss the f panel at full lock and alignment is done. I am probably just comparing it to my daily driver which throws it off. Ill get some more miles on it

  4. #4
    You can get it down to 90 inches if you use the throttle.

    I have never noticed the turning radius being bad. What is your DD?

  5. #5
    You just need to goose it a little and that rear end will come right around.��

  6. #6
    I was just talking (through email) with Mark at Breeze Automotive about my MKII turning radius. (Mark is extremely helpful - an excellent resource and vendor on this forum)
    Since your tires are hitting the wheel well, then that's all there is. I have the donor lower control arms limiting my turning radius and it is terrible. I just emailed Dan at FF to find out when their tubular lower control arms will be be available to help with this. Currently out of stock.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340
    my dd is now a vw alltrack. Maybe i am just turning the wheel slow. I also have the tubular lower control arms.

    It could be that I am just turning the wheel to slow lol. Iíll give it more time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member AC Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    878
    [QUOTE=mburger;301500 I have the donor lower control arms limiting my turning radius and it is terrible..[/QUOTE]

    Unless the inside rim of your wheel is hitting the lower control arm, the donor LCA won't limit the turning radius. Some fellow with the wider rims, would actually cut a small V notch in the arm, so the wheesl wouldn't rub.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CraigS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manassas, Va.
    Posts
    2,142
    Either cut a notch or get the BFH out and mod those donors. Either is fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Woodstock ,Illinois
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    You can get it down to 90 inches if you use the throttle.

    I have never noticed the turning radius being bad. What is your DD?
    Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner! One car length baby!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1,GT40p's,24# injectors and 73mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5,cobra r's riding on BFG KDW's. What's next?

  11. #11
    It seems like my Mk IV turns really tight. But then again, my other vehicles are a diesel crewcab pickup, Suburban and a class A motorhome. I guess it's all relative.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 3.55 gears, Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    It seems like my Mk IV turns really tight. But then again, my other vehicles are a diesel crewcab pickup, Suburban and a class A motorhome. I guess it's all relative.
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully I get a little more wheel time this weekend.

  13. #13
    I plan on getting the FFR tubular LCAs. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member MPTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    956
    Blog Entries
    8
    If you are still turning the wheel, then you haven't reached the true turning radius yet. maybe PS would help with that.
    I feel mine turns pretty sharply. (and easily)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

  15. #15
    Senior Member AC Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    I plan on getting the FFR tubular LCAs. Hopefully that'll take care of it.
    They really won't make any difference to the turning radius, but what the hay.. go for it.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

  16. #16
    If your tires don't touch or get very close to the F panels, you might want to check your rack for limiters.
    I touch to the left and am very close to the right.

    As AC Bill said, the LCAs won't change it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    my dd is now a vw alltrack. Maybe i am just turning the wheel slow. I also have the tubular lower control arms.

    It could be that I am just turning the wheel to slow lol. I’ll give it more time.
    Your complaint is about the steering ratio, not the turn radius. Manual racks have 4 or 5 turns lock-to-lock ratio. It's like a school bus.

    Install a 2.5 or 3 turns power rack. You won't have to turn the steering as much to achieve the same turn radius.

    In the mean time, you can add a steering wheel spinner knob !

    Last edited by totem; 11-16-2017 at 06:11 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Your complaint is about the steering ratio, not the turn radius. Manual racks have 4 or 5 turns lock-to-lock ratio. It's like a school bus.

    Install a 2.5 or 3 turns power rack. You won't have to turn the steering as much to achieve the same turn radius.

    In the mean time, you can add a steering wheel spinner knob !

    Lol that would be a riot. It’s weird though because my manual rack from ffr said it is a 15:1, which was the same as their power rack. I even called to confirm.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Stafford Virginia
    Posts
    173
    When I was in high school we called those spinner knobs suicide knobs because they were known to snap off. I also heard that they were illegal although never confirmed.
    JR
    MK4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, high back kirkey seats, heater/defrost and vintage gauges

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Manual racks have 4 or 5 turns lock-to-lock ratio.
    I take that out. There's a lot of variation. Most are 3 to 4 turns lock-to-lock.

    However, the Factory Five steering rack install video definitely shows a 5 turns rack. ( See time 5:20).
    https://youtu.be/B5zGnHExZuA
    According to Flaming River:
    12:1 = 2.5 turns
    15:1 = 3.3 turns
    20:1 = 4 turns

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    I take that out. There's a lot of variation. Most are 3 to 4 turns lock-to-lock.

    However, the Factory Five steering rack install video definitely shows a 5 turns rack. ( See time 5:20).
    https://youtu.be/B5zGnHExZuA
    According to Flaming River:
    12:1 = 2.5 turns
    15:1 = 3.3 turns
    20:1 = 4 turns
    Thanks for the info man! I just installed the windshield last night. Besides tweaking a muscle in my neck, it went in well. So I will be getting a couple more test miles on it tomorrow/sunday. I'll report back. I think I am just being overly sensitive lol

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Espanola, Ontario
    Posts
    292
    To the original question on what the turning radius is, it all depends on how much go pedal you give it. With a little effort and experience you can turn your roadster in a radius about 1.5 times the length of the car. And it's a blast to lite up the parking lot with half a dozen turn radiuses in succession.

  23. #23
    Senior Member CraigS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manassas, Va.
    Posts
    2,142
    I always hate those ratio numbers. I can turn a rack left to right and count turns. A ratio??? How can I calculate that?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

  24. #24


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I always hate those ratio numbers. I can turn a rack left to right and count turns. A ratio??? How can I calculate that?
    Craig,
    The ratio is the relationship between the degrees of rotation at the steering rack shaft (steering wheel) and rotation of the spindle. For example if one full 360 degree turn of the steering wheel causes the spindle turn 20 degrees it is an 18:1 rack; i.e. 360/20=18. If one full turn causes the spindle to turn 24 degrees the steering ratio is 15:1; i.e 360/24=15.

    Ratio and turns lock to lock are not necessarily related. You could take a 3 turn lock to lock 18:1 ratio rack and limit the travel so that it could only be rotated 2.5 turns...the ratio would remain the same but the travel would change. On the other hand if two racks have the same travel lock to lock but one requires 2 turns and the other 3 turns their ratios are different.

    Clear as mud now?

    Jeff

  25. #25
    Senior Member CraigS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manassas, Va.
    Posts
    2,142
    Got it. Yep I remember someone got a rack that was supposed to be a 2.5 turns version. It was really a 3.0 turns w/ a pair of limiters.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

  26. #26
    I think the tubular LCAs will help because my rims get close to the stamped LCA. I have limiters installed to keep it from hitting. I have room before it hits the wheel wells.
    634A031F-C05B-4F85-8C75-97DAF9C08F49.jpeg
    Last edited by mburger; Yesterday at 02:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Racing Adventures

Visit our community sponsor