Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wiring up from stock ford loom

Post Thanks / Like

wiring up from stock ford loom

I built my roadster years ago, and used a carb. Now I want to take all the injection stuff that was on this motor, and put it on the 5.0 motor. all the easy stuff is done, ( find which wires go to the motor), but I need help with tying in the stock wires from a 86 f100 loom into the painless system . Its the loom and parts that came with my motor so Im thinking this should be possible. It looks like a lot of stuff can be chopped out of the wiring loom but I have no idea what to delete and what I need to keep. A wiring diagram that shows this would be very helpful. It was probably in the assy manual, but I moved, and cant find it anymore. So is this doable or not. aftermarket wiring is expensive and my funds are limited. anybody got a link for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's going to take a little more then just a few wires to accomplish this . . . EFI computer, fuel pump at the correct pressure for EFI, engine temp sensor, air temp sensor, throttle position sensor, O2 sensors, TAB & TAD sensors, EGR sensors, and the list goes on . . .
    Yes, it's do-able. It's going to take some time and patience to get it all working correctly. Is the system "mass-flow" or "speed density"? If you are converting to EFI, now is the time to do the "upgrade" to mass-flow.

I wouldn't "cut" anything out until you figure out if you have everything needed and if you need (state required) the smog related stuff. Some things can't just be cut out, they need to be by-passed (EGR, tad, tad & carbon canister).

Here's an early EFI wiring diagram.

Happy wiring . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly what I was hoping to find, but my wiring isn't looking like this. the most obvious difference is that I haven't got all those wires coming from the computer directly to the injectors. mine has only three wires from the loom going out to injectors. ( one red, two white). also, I don't know how to tell if I have "mass flow or speed density". So would this be a totally different diagram needed? I wont need anything smog related. Im smog exempt. Thanks for the response doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance the engine you acquired the harness from was throttle body EFI as opposed to individual port SFI? That might support what you're saying about only three wires to the injectors. Does the engine have 8 injectors, one in each intake runner?
    Depending on where the engine was configured to operate (read: Non-California car/truck) for smog requirements, it is more-then-likely speed density in '85-'86. Mass-Air didn't really come on strong until '87 except for California cars.
    What computer do you have; A9L (manual trans), A9P (automatic trans) is the preferred EEC for mass-air cars but they are getting real hard to find now-a-days. Rebuilds are available from the local auto parts stores buy they want a "core" real bad.
    All SFI cars have individual colored wires to each injector with a common RED wire that completes the circuit back to ground inside the EEC. Injectors are run in "saturated" condition - meaning that they have 12 volts applied all the time and ground to actuate.

Have any wires been cut off the EEC yet? If you are "missing" wires, it will be a lot more difficult to get this done. If not cut, how about pulled from the 60 pin connector, any blank holes or pins missing?
    How about the "salt-n-pepper" connectors, any wires missing from them? All the injector wires are in one of the salt-n-pepper connectors, (picture attached).

and

These are for reference only and may not match (color-wise or configuration) your harness if its from an early TB EFI.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-16-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    8 injectors. my motor harness is simpler than this one. 3 wires in, 1 red, 2 white. 8 plug-ins for the injectors. that's it. My system is speed density. The loom is almost totally intact and in good shape. there is one wire cut at the eec plug in, black with white stripe. Im assuming it was just a ground. The only other cut wires are at the far end and appear to be the ones that went to the ignition switch, about 6 wires. everything else looks good and is all there, All these things came from the same donor, including sensors, relays solinoids, etc. It would be nice to track down the right diagram for this setup, but it seems that there are many different versions. also, it was from an automatic trans (aod)truck. If Im right, the eec power relay is one of the two that are real close to the eec. Working without the correct diagram, showing me all the wires colored same as mine is the scariest part sorting out this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure this will help but here are a couple of "generic" wiring diagrams that might get you headed in the right direction . . . I wouldn't put too much faith in the pin numbers [shown], you'll need to figure out what EEC you have and what each pin does and then transpose the wires shown to those pins. I've also included a wiring diagram for the ignition system that came along with EFI cars with TFI/PIP distributors.
    The two relays you mentioned (close to the EEC) are fuel pump and EEC power. If memory serves me right, I believe pin #1 (EEC) is the "keep-alive" wire.
    Black w/ white may or may not be a ground, depending on your harness and EEC . . . could be a voltage return for all the sensors.

and

I'm still trying to find a diagram for early EFI with 3 wires to injectors . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-18-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your input is very helpful Doc, you are dead on right about it going to need some time and patience. I cut off the black tape wrapping to trace where things go, and this method seems like how I will have to use , along with tagging wires, making notes and working up my own diagrams, because my wire colors are different, (like the primary hot lead being yellow in the diagram but white in my loom) cant tell one "pin #" from another looking at it go into the eec, and minor problems like that. However, the diagrams you post are very much needed in this process. Those two relays are what you said, and I think the group that I thought should be going to ign, looks right, they just cut it at that point to keep the steering column intact with the plug- in included. Not out of the woods yet, but progress being made.