FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New CNY Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like

New CNY Coupe builder

Hello all! Obligatory introduction in advance of the raft of inevitable questions as I progress into my build.

I have a history in Auto-X and a little HPDE, and was a SCCA Solo ll chair for several years in the CNY region. I modded and campaigned a road legal, C-Prepared 1987 Mustang (not very well, but I had a lot of fun). I’ll be saying goodbye to it after 20 years of ownership. I took the car a long way, with tubular K-member, coil-overs & Koni’s, Panhard rod, Tq Arm, and adj rear trailing links, disc brakes in back, through-frame connectors, 6-point roll-bar, and countless other bits – but in the end it became less rewarding as I ran into the limitations of the suspension geometry inherent in the Fox chassis.

I actually went to Factory Five back in 2003 because I wanted a 65 Coupe or Spyder in the worst way. That love affair lasted until I actually sat in one and contemplated the fit as a weekend cruiser.

Fast forward to hearing about the Gen 3 coupe and I knew a road-trip to FFR’s shop was in order. I went there just before they packed up for SEMA (and got to see the 33 truck in person before the show!!), spent a lot of time in the shop with Jay, and a lot of time in and around the #1 car (and the blisteringly sexy Snap-On R Coupe) in the showroom. What a difference in the cockpit / footbox space. Fast forward again, and after many hours of post reading here and on FFCcars.com forum, I ordered a kit. I'm scheduled for Jan 6, 2018 pick-up.

The only used part I'll be bringing over from my Mustang is the motor: a 393 stroker, Scat crank, forged H rods, TW pistons, decked and ported Stg ll TW heads from TEA, matching Victor Jr intake, Canton RR pan, etc... It dyno’d at 494 rwhp with a BG 750 race carb, Hooker Super-comp LT headers, and 3” exhaust. I’ll be ditching the carb for EFI, most likely a Holley Sniper – so stay tuned for some parts for sale. It should be a ripper in a sub 2700lb 49/51 car on real tires and big brakes!

Kit specs:
    BASE KIT
    POWDER COATING GEN 3 COUPE CHASSIS
    BODY CUT-OUTS
    FRONT LOWER ARMS - STANDARD WIDTH
    2015 IRS PARTS
    FALL SALE SPECIAL – FREE WHEELS, 18x9 & 18x11 (awesome deal!!)
    COUPE ULTRA-LITE 6 GAUGE SET
    Delete seats – going with Corbeau Forza Sports
    Delete side pipes – hoping that Bob Boig’s Quiet pipes in the works for the Coyote set-up will be jigged up by the time I’m ready for them
    Delete Headers – going with a custom set of GP headers 351W, mild steel, ceramic, double collectors for O2, for above pipes

Other misc parts:
    T-56 Magnum close ratio, w/mid-shift
    Quicktime bellhousing
    Clutch TBD – existing Centerforce DF is wrong input spline to use
    New IRS pumpkin and knuckles from Ford Racing, swapped to 3.23 ring and pinion
    Wilwood Forged Dynapro 6 Big Brake Front Brake Kit, slotted only
    Wilwood Dynapro Radial-MC4 Rear Parking Brake Kit, slotted only
    FFR spindles

TBD:
    AC – will definitely have, not set on the source, probably FFR unless research points me in another direction
    Harness – again probably FFR
    Gas tank – will either be a 03-04 Cobra Tank w/Walbro 340 return-style system or a Boyd FFR Roadster tank and -6AN lines
    Wipers – needed for NYS registration. Probably Ongaro marine wipers and control system
    Power Steering – need to pick the rack and pump – probably 2.5 turn and Saginaw style pump w/remote reservoir
    DOT LED lights

I’ve bookmarked dozens of build threads already… everything from ball-joint castle-nut washers, alignment tricks for the UCAs, to carpet fitment... so a big thanks to all those that have worn the straitjacket already! I appreciate your suffering in advance of my own. I’m excited to be part of the community!

Cheers,

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Alex! I am looking forward to seeing a GenIII running the cones next summer. I've only dabbled in the SNYSCCA region, but, the 33HR performed better on its maiden cone voyage than I expected. If only I could drive it as it deserves!! I'll be putting the biggest A7's I can get on it in the spring. With your experience you should be able to impress out of the box.
    Keep us posted on progress.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in CNY ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize92003 View Post
    Where in CNY ?
    Syracuse area... looks like your a local, too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Congratulations Alex! I am looking forward to seeing a GenIII running the cones next summer. I've only dabbled in the SNYSCCA region, but, the 33HR performed better on its maiden cone voyage than I expected. If only I could drive it as it deserves!! I'll be putting the biggest A7's I can get on it in the spring. With your experience you should be able to impress out of the box.
    Keep us posted on progress.

Brian
    I'm sure you've seen the Hot Rod Episode with 5 FFR cars vs. a Lamborghini Gallardo at Las Vegas Speedway? The HR beat the Lambo's time: HOT ROD Unlimited Episode 27. There's something to inspire you

I always enjoyed Solo ll even though my PAX time was usually at the back of the pack... didn't matter as I always had fun. Put it this way, at the NE Divisional at what was Griffiss AF base in Rome, I was the only CP car that drove there as opposed to on a trailer. I ran on RE-71 road tires with the goal of coming in somewhere ahead of last.

Hope to cross paths sometime!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Cicero.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qwezxc12 View Post
    I'm sure you've seen the Hot Rod Episode with 5 FFR cars vs. a Lamborghini Gallardo at Las Vegas Speedway? The HR beat the Lambo's time: HOT ROD Unlimited Episode 27. There's something to inspire you

I always enjoyed Solo ll even though my PAX time was usually at the back of the pack... didn't matter as I always had fun. Put it this way, at the NE Divisional at what was Griffiss AF base in Rome, I was the only CP car that drove there as opposed to on a trailer. I ran on RE-71 road tires with the goal of coming in somewhere ahead of last.

Hope to cross paths sometime!
    Alex,
    You won't have to worry about the PAX conversion with the GENIII...You won't get any!! Just go for FTD in your class or heck, FTD for the field!! I'm not very well versed in the classes, so I just ran EM on street tires to avoid conflict with the Vette and Miata guys that worry about season points. I think they were a little surprised when the old Desoto ran competitively with the BMW's...

Good luck on the build, I'm sure there's a few guys in the region that are willing to stop buy and provide a hand once in awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats from Baldwinsville.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all - I'm getting (more) excited as I get closer to delivery. I'm hoping to score some Black Friday deals as I have a list of parts to get.