BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Daytona Coupe for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Daytona Coupe for sale

Hello all,

I have always wanted to get a Cobra since I was a teenager. Couldn't afford a kit, so went a different route being a young kid. I Bought a 1968 Triumph TR-250 and built that up to handle, and with engine modifications. Did some head shaving for more compression and added 3 side draft Weber carbs. This was all done back in the late 70's. Fast forward to 2008 or so I had a planter box sitting 1974 TR-6, that I had bought back in 1983(took off the road in 1985) I believe, after a drunk driver rear ended into my TR-250 (totaled car), and installed parts into the 74 from my 68. So in 2008, still wanting a Cobra, took this 1974 TR-6 , and proceeded to build my cobra out of it. To make this easier for me anyway, I have a link to my "How it was done article" on Britishv8.org. When this car was done (when you build a car it is never done), it drove like a Cobra. I installed a 2002 Ls1 engine and T56 combo into it. Some spec's, 417 rear wheel horse power, 402 rear wheel torque, 49/51 front to back weight ratio, and 2656 pounds with 19 gallons of fuel.

Link is here:
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/CalvinGrannis.htm

Also I have a friend that did some modifications to his TR-6
    link is here:
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/KenPercival.htm

One of the reasons I'm posting here is that my Friend Ken Percival (britishv8 link above) had a dream like most of the people on this site. He always wanted to build a Cobra Daytona Type 65. Well he walked into a sale of a Cobra Daytona race car chassis #137. This race car had caught on fire in the engine compartment and then into the interior area. Ken is not on the internet at all. Being that this is my first post, with all the spam going on these days, and really understanding this site trying to block it all. Ken has had some medical issues in his family that I have to sadly say he needs to sell his dream.

I don't want to be kicked off this site for posting a sale at all, so I don't know how to proceed at this time(knowing need several posts to get past the spam area). I have Ken's phone number and some photos that he sent me. He doesn't have a problem people calling him about his Daytona. Maybe the moderator can help me with this??

I still want to build a Cobra some day!

Best Regards,

Calvin
    I will post one photo:

Thank You David for your help!! I need to contact several people to get more photos and Ken to get as much information as I can. Be back soon!!

In Ken Percival's words:

For Sale : Type 65 Daytona Factory 5 Chassis #137 20,000 or best offer!!

In 2013, I purchased the chassis of a burnt vintage race car. The fire started in the engine bay and went into the interior of the car.

The previous owner said, “He couldn’t get the car to handle in any turn.” My suspension expert told me, that no car in 1965 could handle like the cars of today and it is really about suspension geometry and angles at which the A-arms are set on the chassis. He also informed me that trying to fit McPherson strut parts to A-arms systems never work.

We choose instead to use 2004 Crown Victoria—police pursuit hubs and brakes. Because it is the last mod-ern car to use upper and lower A-arms. Resulting in a Factory 5 Daytona with a modern geometry front suspension. Using a racing steering rack and sway bar, providing endless amount of camber and castor adjustment. This is for both street driving or track performance.

The rear suspension is the independent version that comes from a 1994 Thunderbird. It is equipped with Bilstein coil overs shocks.

The back of the car was not damaged in the fire. The final drive is 4;10 limited slip. The chassis is turned key, starts, stops, runs and is ready for body install.

Engine: Built by: Performance Engines, Carmichael, CA 95608; Rick Salmeron 916-482-8053
    Engine Block, #242 OEM351W
    Bore 4.030
    Piston—Forged race 17cc dish
    Ring—Plasma Moly
    Rods—Scat forged Rod I Beam
    Comrpession—9.621 (pump gas)
    Roller lifters and rocker arms.

All other engine specs and part list are available on request.

Trans— New Tremec TKO 5 speed .063 fifth, ford racing fly wheel and clutch.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to finish this project. This was my dream car, but not all dreams are fulfilled. I hope your is.

If interested, call 208-837-9101 ask for Ken.

I have a lot more photos but limited to 10? Calvin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 74ls1tr6; 12-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Calvin, fix up the post above as a "For Sale" Post and I'll move it into classifieds - FFR cars for you. Fill out the details including contact info, pics of the area where the fire was, before pics if possible, and the status of the build, whats required to finish and a list of missing parts, if any. The more pics the better.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    10 more photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    10 more photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    10 more photos.

I have more photos, but I guess I'm unable to attach anymore photos?
    Last edited by 74ls1tr6; 01-05-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken Percival got a hold of me last night before going into surgery and said to drop his price down to 19, 000 from 20,000 asking price. If anyone one needs a certain photo from this car please post a reply!

Regards,
    Calvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 74ls1tr6 View Post
    Ken Percival got a hold of me last night before going into surgery and said to drop his price down to 19, 000 from 20,000 asking price. If anyone one needs a certain photo from this car please post a reply!

Regards,
    Calvin
    Hello Calvin,

Can you please tell me the location of the car. I have read the thread several times and can not find the location.

Thank you for your help,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy mackrel! That Triumph looks like it was more work than the Type 65! Beautiful cars, good luck!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alan0043 View Post
    Hello Calvin,

Can you please tell me the location of the car. I have read the thread several times and can not find the location.

Thank you for your help,
    Al
    Can I assume that this car is in California because the engine was done there ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alan0043,

The car is located in Hagerman Idaho inside Kens shop. My wife an I moved his car from Sacramento California to Hagerman Idaho for him late last year. I have a small enclosed car trailer that will fit small and low cars .Hagerman is just northwest of Twin Falls Idaho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alan0043,

The car is located in Hagerman Idaho inside Kens shop. My wife an I moved his car from Sacramento California to Hagerman Idaho for him late last year. I have a small enclosed car trailer that will fit small and low cars .Hagerman is just northwest of Twin Falls Idaho.
    Hello Calvin,

Thank you for posting the info on the car. I was hoping the car was in the midwest namely Ohio.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think I saw any mentioned anywhere above. Does this have a body to go with it? I didn't see one in the background of any of the pictures. Thanks

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ryan,

The body burned pretty bad in the fire, so only the rear back end was left. So to answer your question, all you need for a complete car would need a body. Ken said around $6500.00 from factory Five. Due your research on this price with Factory Five, I'm not sure.

Ken stated chassis is all done, just need the body to finish car. This car is set up to handle with all adjustments of caster,camber, and toe-in or out. The specs are setup up to the new Corvette, caster, camber, toe-in. When I took it out of the trailer for delivery, it sure sounds very healthy. Just parking lot driving for miles on the chassis.

Calvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

If the car is of interest to you, I will be going to Dayton Ohio to the British V8 meet in July with my TR 6 in tow. Possible make arrangements for the car to be trailer out to Ohio.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,60174

Calvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

If the car is of interest to you, I will be going to Dayton Ohio to the British V8 meet in July with my TR 6 in tow. Possible make arrangements for the car to be trailer out to Ohio.

Calvin
    Hi Calvin,

Thank you for making an offer to bring the car to Ohio. Right now I am not sure what I am going to do. I do not want to hold up any kind of sell you might have. Your buddy has a good friend in you, that is willing to help out. Best of luck in selling the car. Thank you again for your input.

Be safe coming to Ohio,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

Calvin
    Hello Forum,

I made a post to Calvin and it has not showed up. Can someone please explain what might have happen.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan0043 View Post
    Hello Forum,

I made a post to Calvin and it has not showed up. Can someone please explain what might have happen.

Al
    Al,

Until you reach 10 posts, any time you post with a link (or quote, etc) your post goes to moderation automatically.

Sorry. Approved.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Calvin. Follow up question. Am I correct in assuming that most likely everything relating to the body would need to be purchased as well? So the body kit, front and rear glass with latches/mounting hardware, door latches, headlights, taillights, turn signal lights, wiring harness, the lemans gas cap, all missing aluminium panels as well as a few other smaller things? All of these things add up to quite a bit of money. Quick estimate from the ffr shop and a chat with them puts all of the needed pieces beyond just the body at roughly $9,300 without shipping. That doesn't include the aluminium. Are any of these elements included with the car as it stands? At the current price it's not far off from just buying a new gen3 kit and an engine. I'd personally rather build one from the ground up if the price is about the same. I'm also assuming the car isn't running power steering or ac. Thanks for any additional info you can provide. I would love to see a few more pictures of the car in its current state including the engine bay.

Ryan