BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Differential video

Post Thanks / Like

IRS Differential video

https://youtu.be/IqgsIUdrk9o

Here is a video I took laying under my car looking up at the drive shaft and differential with the parking brake on and Transmission in neutral. I have and IRS Torson setup all parts bought new from a vender on this forum. This is a video when then car was in go cart stage and now have over 3,000 miles on it. The excess play has always been in the back of my mind but after driving the car it seems to work fine, no clucking noise noticed. I am hoping to get it painted this winter and thought now is the time to make sure everything is correct. Does this look like something I need to look into?
    Thanks Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is the same way. I hate it. I 'think' it might be louder because mine is an aluminum case. Yours al or iron?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's about right - it's about the same as my IRS.

I think if you get them (8.8) much tighter they tend to break (ring) gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel better, it is all Aluminum with the Cobra IRS Axle Girdle Cover M-4033-G3. I wasn't looking forward to taking it out..
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    What you are seeing is not just ring and pinion play, but the combination of the spider gears, clutch packs, axle shafts and ring/pinion. Also, keep in mind any play other than ring/pinion backlash will be multiplied by the gear ratio when rotating the pinion like that. It seems about normal.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob for the explanation, that helps..
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Bob that makes sense. My solid axle had similar slop when I had a TrueTrac (very similar to a Torsen) diff. I was so happy when that wore out and I went back to a standard Ford clutch type diff. Then I retrofitted the 2015 IRS and the slop is back. Uggghh.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.