Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire replacement question

Post Thanks / Like

Tire replacement question

I am at about 3300 miles so nowhere close to being ready for new tires but as I was looking over things after my drive today it had me wondering a couple things.

The Cobra is unique to any other car I have ever operated in two ways.
    1. I will never drive the car in wet conditions. (I know you could always get surprised but I am very conservative about taking it out if rain is possible).
    2. I will put far less miles on this per year than a regular car.

with that being said:
    Do I really need to be concerned with tread depth? If I am never operating in the rain does tread depth matter?
    How long do tires generally last (time not mileage) before you might have to worry about the age becoming an issue?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tire Aging and Service Life - NTSB

I had a tread separation at 130 MPH and I'm lucky it was a front tire on a straightaway as I'd probably not be writing this if a rear tire that failed. I've had trailer tires fail catastrophically setting in my driveway and had never been on the road -- not ever! I have a small fleet of vehicles and trailers that all get new tires long before they are through even half their tread. My tractor and my backhoe are the only exceptions -- old rubber on them doesn't worry me. I've rolled tractor tires off the rim and it's more irritating than a hazard. Not so for a highway vehicle. So if you're wondering how long you could let those tires go also ask yourself what's your life worth. Use the 6-year rule and you'll mitigate the risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally 6 to 7 years from the date of manufacture. Even if they just sat in the warehouse. High performance car, go with 6.

Planning on not driving in the rain is nice. It is rarely going to be a reality. There are also sprinklers, fire hydrants, etc that can leave a wet patch or a stream across an otherwise dry road.

There are wear indicators in the tread. When you get to those, it is time for new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Generally 6 to 7 years from the date of manufacture. Even if they just sat in the warehouse. High performance car, go with 6.

Planning on not driving in the rain is nice. It is rarely going to be a reality. There are also sprinklers, fire hydrants, etc that can leave a wet patch or a stream across an otherwise dry road.

There are wear indicators in the tread. When you get to those, it is time for new ones.
    6 years thanks. I expect with my mileage to wear them out before then but that is good to know.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    5 years maximum for me although the trailer is the only thing in the fleet that doesn't wear them out long before that.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Jeff on the 5 year max for tire age for cars of any type.
    Just had the tires replaced on Mom's 2005 Deville, she's 85.
    3 years on motorcycles, but they seldom last that long.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few comments from an old guy. To set the stage, I put 55k miles on my first Superformance and about 10k on the second. I think I put 5 sets of tires on the first car.

Tires age from the day they come out of the mold. For the first few years the aging isn't to bad after that they start to get hard, read that as slippery. The aging is partially due to miles and heat but a lot is just due to exposure to the elements. The manufacturers advise that tires should be stored away from heat and sunlight, this might be a clue. On a daily driver this may not be a problem but.....

Now put yourself into a high performance car that you will most likely drive with some aggression. Do you want to ride on substandard? About the rain, yup, good plan but as Avalanche325 mentioned that isn't a reality. I'll add that if it is you're not driving enough. If you choose to go on any long distance trips, 1,000 miles plus or over the course of multiple days, you'll probably not have a choice. I am in the Midwest so my location does taint my perspective on changing weather.

So do you really want to trust your rear-end to four little aging patches of rubber that are your only connection to mother earth and god's concrete? Only you can answer that question.

Jim