Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust Manifold Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust Manifold Issue

I recently recieved my OEM exhaust manifold back from having some work done on it and when attempting to attach the crossover pipe to the collectors (using new gaskets) I can still see a large gap at the joint. I have used a torque spec of 26 ft/lbs on the bolts but it still seems odd that there is this much of gap between the collector and the crossover pipe. Is this normal? In the linked photos I have a flashlight on the other side of the connection that emphasises the location of the gap.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DP82W4lNc2dd0v2y1
    818C - #458 | Delivered-11/16/16 | First Start/Go Kart-8/24/18 |
    Daily: 2004 WRX
    Weekend: 2012 S4

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't look like that is going to work without leaks. Not sure how they resurfaced the mating surfaces but they need to resurface the mating surfaces using a mill that gets them flat. It almost looks like they took a 4" grinding wheel to it by hand. Sometimes the bolt area on those flanges tends to bow out a bit. You can sometimes heat them up with a torch and hit them with a hammer a bit to (gradually) flatten them back out but then after you do that, you'll ideally want to have them resurfaced on a mill that gets the entire surface flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of work did they do?

That gap obviously won't work. You can probably fix it by gluing or taping some sandpaper to a flat plate of steel, aluminum, or flat granite block and sanding the flange in a figure-8 motion. Google "flatten watter stone" to see what I'm talking about.