FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel tank and in-tank pump options for Gen 3

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tank and in-tank pump options for Gen 3

Hello all,

I've done a lot of searching and have arrived at a few potential options for my Gen3 build - I was hoping that some builders/owners could chime in...

Motor is an 11:1 NA 393, forged internals, with ported TFS TW heads and victor Jr intake. Ran a BG Race Demon 750 prior and dyno'd at 494 RWHP in my 87 Mustang. I'm switching to EFI, most likely a Holley Sniper, for better manners at everything other than WOT. Previous tank was a sumped stock tank, and external BG 220HR pump. Use is planned to be ~60/30/10 cruising/Auto-X/ HPDE

I don't want a stock tank with the fuel pick-up on the right side of the tank based on previous track experience; I'm looking for a centered and/or baffled fuel pick-up location in a stock style tank - no fuel cell. I' prefer to go internal pump with a return-style system - I'm not ruling out a returnless, but I have no experience with the pump management required. I'll need 210lph to support the above HP, so a 340 stealth or Walbro 450lph is what I'm looking at.

I cross-posted this at FFCars and copy/pasted it here; I'm not allowed post links there, yet, so sorry for the fubar'd link descriptions.

Option 1: Aeromotive 86-98.5 A1000 Fox Body Stealth Fuel Tank - Summit racing pn 18685
    This would be perfect if not for the nearly $1200 price tag. The A1000 is way over spec'd for my fuel needs plus I'd need a cobra style sender as well... another $150 at LMR: pn LRS-9275H

Option 2: 03-04 Ford Mustang Cobra Tank + BBK 1998 mustang 300lph return-style fuel system & sender.
    Tanks are out there in the $250-$400 range and the pump is available at american Muscle for ~$300.
    Downside is the fittings (IIRC) are 5/16" and 1/4" which are bad news on a high-volume pumps. I cannot find a 3/8" pick-up / -6AN fitting single-pump fuel hat that will fit the 03-04 cobra tank.
    I was hoping to find something like Pro-M Racing's high-flow-fuel-pump-hanger-for-1986-1997-mustangs, but with a hat for the 03-04 tank.

I could use Boyd's in-tank Aeromotive 340, but I'd need to fab up a return and possibly mod the hat to fit the OEM tank, so I'm in the $800+ range with no sender and needing additional fab work:
    fueltankparts in-tank-efi-pump-system-w-aeromotive-stealth-340

There are plenty of double and triple pump hats out there, but in the $275+ range empty and really seem geared to the ludicrous & boosted HP crowd.
    Same thing with Glenn's Performance Stealth Cobra tanks and an external pump set-up - the price goes up quickly.

So, Option 3: Boyd's Roadster tank with the 340 for $789:
    fueltankparts factory-five-roadster-stealth-efi-mkii
    This is where I'm leaning. Baffling, extra capacity and a welded filler neck are all positives, but Boyd's can't confirm it will fit the Coupe. I haven't called FFR yet to ask - the Roadster and Coupe frames are designed to accommodate the OEM tank, so it should fit...

Can anyone confirm?

And/or offer some other tank / pump suggestions?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked out RCI racing?
    http://www.rciracing.com
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbeck View Post
    Have you checked out RCI racing?
    http://www.rciracing.com
    I did, but unless I'm missing something on their website - they only offer fuel cells with top fill ports, and that is not what I'm after. As I said in my original post, I'm looking for a centered and/or baffled fuel pick-up location in a stock style tank - no fuel cell. Thanks, though.