Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I had "THE TALK" with my son

Post Thanks / Like

I had "THE TALK" with my son

I was working on the car in the garage and my wife stops me and tells me I have to have the talk with my son. He came home from school terrified of what he saw and heard today from his friends. They were apparently watching a youtube video of animals and they were pretty detailed. I started laughing and my wife said no you really have to talk with him.

So I have the seats out of the car in the plastic by my work bench and me and my son sat down by the car in the roadster seats and had a good talk. I didnt try to sugar coat it and shot straight with him on all the topics and questions he had. It was a good talk and he trusts me so it was a pretty open conversation. He was pretty mortified for the first part of the evening but he is better and more comfortable since the talk.

I cant think of a cooler way to have this big part of both of our lives shared over a cool car, in roadster seats, and in the garage. My oldest is becoming a man. I love that I get to be a dad. My dad let me down my whole life and bailed when I was a toddler. This is a chance for me to get to share with him all the things I missed out on.

Truly the value of these cars and this hobby is greater than the sum of the cars value in parts or cash. This was a big day for both of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good memory's

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Being Father Is Truly A Gift From God So Cherish Every Moment!

My kids are now 19, 24 & 27 and now we seem to see them in shifts so it really is true that they grow up fast.

Do your best to remember to treat your wife like your girlfriend because that's who you'll be talking to when the kids are all grown.

Great Times For Sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    They do grow up way too fast. Cherrish those moments and hopefully they will stay in your memory banks forever.

Im following your build thread and I want to thank you for your service and for what you do for us and our country.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I would reckon that many (perhaps most) of us weren't building our FFR cars until our sons were already men and perhaps fathers themselves. Never the less this is a lovely story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most kids already have a pretty good idea by the time they are 10 or so, unless they are living in a vacuum..
    I think they just want to torture poor old Dad, by making him give the birds and the bees talk..

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The TALK":

Turtle.jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    "The TALK":

Turtle.jpg

Ray
    When I lived in NY, I had a large pond in my front yard. There were two large turtles in the pond turning over in the water splashing for hours! Some lady drives by and stops. She's watching them. She calls out, what is that!!? I shout back, "Two turtles!!" She says, "What are they doing!!?" l said, "Putting me to shame!" lol
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great spin on an awkward conversation. I have a 2 year old son and follow a group on facebook called Fatherly that has similar real life advice or stories. When he is 15 I hope to build a car with him - nothing like an FFR; I'm thinking a pickup truck or classic resto. I am hoping that if he spends a year working on it, he will be more careful, speed less, etc. maybe.