Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driving my Roadster makes my heart race - literally

Post Thanks / Like

Driving my Roadster makes my heart race - literally

I came to a realization today. Every time a I drive my car my heart rate spikes significantly. It is exciting to drive, but not that much. I have a pacemaker, so it is pretty obvious something is affecting it. After doing a lot of reading it is apparently not too uncommon. The rough ride makes the pacemaker think I'm exercising, so it speeds up my heart. It feels really weird, but apparently is not a dangerous situation. I'm going to see if they can maybe adjust the sensitivity at my next checkup. It's certainly not easy getting old!

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. My heart races as well but because it's a lot of power. I am speaking about my old 350hp fox mustang. Can't imagine the excitement of a 450hp 2200lb car. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Two thoughts for you. Reduce tire pressures to around 20#. Install 200-250# rear springs if you have the standard FFR 350s now. Oooops, a 3rd thought, did you assure the Konis are on their soft setting before installing them?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Two thoughts for you. Reduce tire pressures to around 20#. Install 200-250# rear springs if you have the standard FFR 350s now. Oooops, a 3rd thought, did you assure the Konis are on their soft setting before installing them?
    Thanks, I might try the springs. Tires are at 20 and I don't remember the shock setting. The car doesn't ride rough at all really, but apparently too rough for my pacemaker.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, You are just excited because the 100* weather is finally gone.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull81 View Post
    Bob, You are just excited because the 100* weather is finally gone.
    Yep, that's true. It's been really nice driving weather. Are you able to drive yet? We need to go for a cruise.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I can drive. I took it out to COTA a couple of weeks ago. It still needs tuning. I haven’t had any time to work on it. Fran had cataracts removed from both eyes. I hope to get the computer on it in the next week or so. I am ready for a run to the Bluebonnet Cafe.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is always a bit of an adrenaline rush, when jumping in the roadster. Probably more so when your car is pushing 516 HP ! I know I still get butterfly's, every time I am about to head off for a cruise, and mine only has half that power.

Driving one of these is not like any other car. It is a very sensory filled experience in itself. The noise, the wind, the exposure, the acceleration, and cornering, g forces, etc. You have to stay alert, and be ready to react quickly. This is "real" driving.. Then there's the fact that your driving a vehicle you built yourself, and that if you didn't do it all correctly, it has the potential to kill you.
    Combined, all that is enough to get the heart pumping a wee bit faster..

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have to admit that my heart starts racing just getting into the car before even starting it. But after driving a little while (Just cruising, nothing aggressive) it jumped up from 60 to 105 BPM and I could sure feel it. Before the pacemaker it would slow down to about 35 and I could sure feel that too! I'll take the faster heartbeat any day. It just helps understanding why it's happening.
    Last edited by bobl; 11-22-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull81 View Post
    Yes I can drive. I took it out to COTA a couple of weeks ago. It still needs tuning. I haven’t had any time to work on it. Fran had cataracts removed from both eyes. I hope to get the computer on it in the next week or so. I am ready for a run to the Bluebonnet Cafe.
    Let's plan lunch at the Bluebonet and we can send the girls shopping and we'll go tuning. Lots of good driving roads out here. a couple of hours should do. Everybody happy