BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R - How often should I run the engine to keep everything "good"

Post Thanks / Like

818R - How often should I run the engine to keep everything "good"

I have an 818R that lives on a trailer in my garage, hooked to a batter maintainer. My question: How often should I start the car and get it up to temperature? It is easy for me to do, but I don't know where the "sweet spot" is between lots of starts and things drying out and having oil flow out of important bits. At this point, I have been running the car every weekend or every other weekend. Realistically, I hope to get to the track every 4 - 8 weeks. The car is not street legal, so driving on the road is not really an option. Also, getting the car out of my driveway off the trailer is a bit dicey.

I am sure there are lots of thoughts on this. I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance. Rob T.

Next track day: December 16

Post Thanks / Like
    You just need to put Stabil in the gas and keep it on the battery maintainer. No need to start every couple of weeks, that might actually be doing more harm than good.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally try and sneak my S out at least once a month to buzz the neighborhood in full ski gear and provide some cheap laughs for anyone who sees me. While I've stored plenty of engines for 12+ months between running it and never had a problem, urban legend says that it is possible to collect condensation (or coolant/gas) in the oil and you can put excessive wear on your bearings if you don't warm-er-up every two weeks or so to burn it off.

I've never personally seen or known anyone to have that issue, but twice I've had accessory pulleys go bad from not turning over and forming rust and spalling the bearings (or so I concluded,) and have had and know many others that seize brake caliper pistons and slides or dampers that start leaking from lack of movement.

Also if you have racing tires I'd strongly discourage storing the car on them. Either block it up (which is supposed to help with the damper leaks) or throw on a used-up set.

And I second Gator's recommendations as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818 is usually dormant during the winter months. In the spring, before I start it up, I'll yank the spark plugs and crank the starter over until I see oil pressure. Then it's fine to run the engine. +1 for fuel stabilizer. The first year I forgot to add it so I had to hand pump the old fuel out of the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you live in a cold climate, starting the engine for short periods can cause harm due to condensation. If you start it, then make sure everything gets sufficiently hot.