Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Guy Boston MA

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like

New Guy Boston MA

Hey Guys,
    I'm in research mode to start a MkIV next year. Thinking complete kit, Coyote, TKO600 vs T56 pending fitment issues on the T56, IRS, Wilwood Front & Rear, Hilabrand replicas 17" vs 18"

Questions:
    1. Anyone fit a Coyote with T56 without having to modified transmission mount?
    2. Midshift vs Rearshift location. Pros / Cons
    3. Some people powder coat their aluminum panels. Why? Isn't this all covered up with the car completed?

Cheers,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Absolutely love my Mk4 configured similar to what you describe. The Coyote is simply an awesome engine for these cars. The link for my #8674 build thread is below in my sig line if you want to kill a few hours. Lots of other great build threads as well. For your questions:

1. I haven't installed a T56, so not the best person to answer. But I'm nearly certain it does require a minor mod to the transmission mount. The party line is that it only works with IRS, which you list, so should be OK. Although I've heard/seen of guys fitting them in solid axle builds. I have a TKO in mine, with the .64 final drive and 3.55 diff. Because of the wide RPM range of the Coyote and it's excellent torque even from low RPM's, I don't find a big need for a 6th gear. And it fits without any mods. There are two TKO's and two T56's plus lots of choices for the diff ratio. Check out all the combinations before deciding. I use this calculator: http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php.

2. This is very much a personal choice. The Coyote sits a little bit forward compared to the more traditional pushrod engines. Plus with both the TKO and the T56, you can flip the rear position around to gain a couple inches forward. I find this works fine and didn't mess with the midshift. The shifter leans forward slightly, but nothing like the originals or older school engines with a T5, which is a somewhat common combination. Pictures of how mine turned out are in the referenced build thread.

3. No, not really. Plus just depends on what you want and what you consider covered up. Certainly there's sheet metal visible in the engine compartment. Again, take a look at the pics. Do you consider wheel wells and the underside "visible?" I do. I want all those finished as well. But not everyone does. Plus not everyone chooses powder coat for finishing. Painting, anodizing (not too common), Sharkhide, plus others. Some leave them raw and want that look. Your choice.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-21-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. If you ever get down the Norton way, come see me. I have 2 Mark 4s here and several other FFRs including a new Daytona. Would be happy to show you the cars and answer any of your questions.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a customer car a couple of years ago that was Coyote/T56/3 link. Minor trans A frame mod. As edwardb mentioned the coyote is shorter lengthwise than a Windsor therefore the trans moves forward.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Boston guy, welcome!

Mike Forte supplied my engine and transmission, '65 289 with a TKO600 His shop is over in Framingham, not sure how convenient that is but worth a visit to get your questions answered.

I got the mid-shift on my 289, happy with the setup.

Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Great combo for sure. I went classic windsor because I built it but if I could have afforded all new your combo is ideal. Good luck and budget for small parts. They add up substantially. Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm in research mode to start a MkIV next year. Thinking complete kit, Coyote, TKO600 vs T56 pending fitment issues on the T56, IRS, Wilwood Front & Rear, Hilabrand replicas 17" vs 18"

Questions:
    1. Anyone fit a Coyote with T56 without having to modified transmission mount?
    2. Midshift vs Rearshift location. Pros / Cons
    3. Some people powder coat their aluminum panels. Why? Isn't this all covered up with the car completed?

Cheers,
    Rob
    See my build thread. Coyote & T56. Fix without issue with the IRS. 20 minutes of quick mods to the trans mount and a custom drive shaft and you are all set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duke is the Man! Check out his build tread. He has what you are looking for.

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    See my build thread. Coyote & T56. Fix without issue with the IRS. 20 minutes of quick mods to the trans mount and a custom drive shaft and you are all set.

Awesome thanks. Do you mind if I PM down the line to ask some questions about the trans mount? Where in MA are you? I'm in Newton and work in Braintree. Would love to see your kit, as would my two sons (ages 3 & 5) who are going to build mine with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    I'm in Newton. Would love to see your kit, as would my two sons (ages 3 & 5) who are going to build mine with me.
    Worst case you are like two miles from me. Mine is currently waiting for a slot in the body shop the end of December if you want to stop by. I have the 289 FIA, but basically the same as the MKIV.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Worst case you are like two miles from me. Mine is currently waiting for a slot in the body shop the end of December if you want to stop by. I have the 289 FIA, but basically the same as the MKIV.
    That would be awesome. I'd love it in the Spring if you wanted to come by and show my family how great it is. i'd love to pick your brain about which body/shop shop you used and the various details you went with. I'll PM you my details.