BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Boyd tank

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd tank

Does the boyd tank solve all the fuel starvation problems? I am debating between hydramat in the kit tank or switching out to a Boyd tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't solve it. Unless you use craigs designed one or maybe install a hydromat in the Boyd tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Main benefits of the Boyd tank:
    1. Thinner to allow more leg space
    2. Doesn't leak like the FFR tank (many have reported leak issues)
    3. Won't rust (aluminum)
    4. Locates fuel inlet at the top of the tank, not side of tank like the FFR

I recall Hindsight had fuel starvation issues with the Boyd tank while racing so he installed a surge tank. Hydramat would also be a good solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I've had the car on the road for awhile and no leakage issues. I just want to fix the fuel starvation problem. Having to keep the tank above half full is getting annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hydromat in my STI oem saddlebag tank. It's not 100% effective and over the winter I'll be adding a surge tank. In my 818R we just installed a surge tank above my Boyd tank, there's pics in my build thread.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried stuffing blocks of fuel cell foam in? I can testify that even with a simple hose pickup in a fuel cell with only foam I have finished races without starvation issues, only to run out (empty) on the cool-down lap...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to find a block that will fill up the driver side of the tank this winter, and run hydromat. (Right now I'm completely stock and have surge issues even at 2/3 of a tank.)

You can't really foam the passenger side on an S because it will interfere with the sender, but I'm hoping and assuming the "baffle" will hold the foam to the other end of the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    You can't really foam the passenger side on an S because it will interfere with the sender
    Good point that I clearly missed. I was into calculation of the required volume, and a fancy dip stick system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd's Facebook page shows 10 percent off and free shipping for Black Friday.

http://www.fueltankparts.com/replace...fuel-tank.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Boyd's Facebook page shows 10 percent off and free shipping for Black Friday.

http://www.fueltankparts.com/replace...fuel-tank.html
    Dang... barely missed that one. I am sick of running my fuel tank 3/4+ full all the time. I am dying to get a Boyd tank and add some hydramat and maybe some fuel foam to help with the starvation issues. It just kills the fun and drive-ability of the car. :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
    Dang... barely missed that one. I am sick of running my fuel tank 3/4+ full all the time. I am dying to get a Boyd tank and add some hydramat and maybe some fuel foam to help with the starvation issues. It just kills the fun and drive-ability of the car. :-/
    The real issue is going super lean under full boost WOT coming out of a corner. It turns your pistons into malformed ingots of aluminum. I know this from Experience!

Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep it was a great sale, saved just over $150. Shipping alone was $100. Got the Hydramat from Summit racing from their black Friday sale too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Got the Hydramat from Summit racing.
    Which Hydramat model did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mistasherm View Post
    Which Hydramat model did you go with?
    Went with this one...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-16-111/overview/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    flynntuna - thank you for the info! I had narrowed it down to two and that was one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mistasherm View Post
    flynntuna - thank you for the info! I had narrowed it down to two and that was one of them.
    What was the other Hydramat product you were considering? Anyone have any info on fuel tank foam they have had experience/good luck with?

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the other Hydramat product you were considering?
    The other one of the same size on the Summit Racing site (Holley HydraMat Fuel Pickups 16-105) - hadn't researched the differences yet, other than it appears it is in the fitting...

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the other Hydramat product you were considering? Anyone have any info on fuel tank foam they have had experience/good luck with?
    I went with this from Speedway motors.
    3 years now with no issue.
    Bob

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nch,52163.html

P1050083s3.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, just to verify, you've been tracking with foam for 3 years without lean issues?
    I am verrrry far from driving mine, but had budgeted for hydramat. $150 is cheaper than a new tank, but foam is even cheaper still. I like having options.

(And thank you for the help on my frame powder coat question.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipassgas View Post
    Bob, just to verify, you've been tracking with foam for 3 years without lean issues?
    I am verrrry far from driving mine, but had budgeted for hydramat. $150 is cheaper than a new tank, but foam is even cheaper still. I like having options.

(And thank you for the help on my frame powder coat question.)
    Yes, Our 14 gallon tank is only 19" wide. It would have to be below a few gallons before going lean in a high G turn.
    The foam keeps it from sloshing, but the gas would still go to one side during a turn.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Boyds as well, not at the point of installing it. I ended up going with the new Fitech Surge tank. Hopefully I will find someplace to put it, if not will end up with the mat as well... Keep us updated on how it worked out!!

Keith

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Updated the "Hydramat Installation" thread with some foam installation and tests. Can't compare to foam-less or Boyd tank but the results were quite convincing. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t-Installation

If I were doing it again from scratch I'd still go Boyd so that the filler neck is where it should have been designed to be in the first place, then foam and hydramat the boyd tank.