Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help on Hood Closing

Post Thanks / Like

Help on Hood Closing

I've tried every which way but Sunday and still can't get my hood to close properly. The front cross-member on the driver's side had to be cut to allow the hinge to seat all the way. The passenger side doesn't appear to be hitting anywhere but when I close the hood, it must be pushed down in the front to seat. However, within minutes it the passenger side is sitting back up a quarter inch or so. The hinge itself is very loose at the bushing hinge points but everything is assembled as per instructions.

I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. Who has had this problem and resolved it?

Post Thanks / Like
    What hinge kit, and what model roadster are we discussing?

You may want to add some info to your signature line, so other members know what you are working with.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHA I know !gonna cost ya....alright, I'll be nice . Loosen the bottom mount bolts enough to get some white lithium grease between the brackets, move the brackets up and down several times to get the lube going. tighten up the carrage bolts then back them off so they can move (same with your fore and aft bolts). I start with the hood all the way back (I use a man on each side of the hood) We lower the hood and as it comes down we help guide it forward till its in the hole where we want it.....now slap it.....I stand in front of the car and slap (open hand) on the front of the hood while I guide it front to back and side to side. When it settles in the opening (all the way down ) where I want it I climb under the car and tighten the nuts. (ah! you need to do this with the struts on)...climb out , lift and close hood a couple of times and close to see what moved. Most times I can adjust from the top if it moves a little. When it's all the way down, look through the nose with a flashlight at the forward arm of the hinge to make sure it is not contacting the square tub....if it is...you can use a carbide burr to notch the front of the arm to clear the tube......FUN STUFF !! da Bat
    Last edited by j.miller; 11-22-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right. My bad.
    MK 4 Roadster #8195, 460 Super Cobra Jet Engine, Wilwood Brakes, IRS, TKO 600, 18" Halibrand Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried part of your instructions, but not all. I'll have to follow your lead carefully. Thanks.
    MK 4 Roadster #8195, 460 Super Cobra Jet Engine, Wilwood Brakes, IRS, TKO 600, 18" Halibrand Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    You are always welcome to call and we can have a chat to sort things out if it doesn't come around for you. I'll be available Monday ----Bat Phone....951-676-0191....cheers Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I was under the impression that the MK4 came with a different hinge system, then my MK3.1. Perhaps that was an optional hinge kit I was reading about?

Edward explains his method for a MK4 here, (which sounds very much like what I did for my MK3.1).

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=hood+hinge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I was under the impression that the MK4 came with a different hinge system, then my MK3.1. Perhaps that was an optional hinge kit I was reading about?

Edward explains his method for a MK4 here, (which sounds very much like what I did for my MK3.1).

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=hood+hinge
    I can't confirm whether Mk3 hinges are dimensionally exactly the same as Mk4's, e.g. interchangeable. But they are the same design layout with a short and long link and adjustable base. The setup and adjustment process is the same for both in my experience.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mk3, 3.1 and 4 hinges are the same design and are adjusted in the same manner as edwardb mentions however there some slight component variations.

Jeff