Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2.0 cam position sensor vs 2.5 cam position sensor(s)

Post Thanks / Like

2.0 cam position sensor vs 2.5 cam position sensor(s)

My previous engine was a 2.0 out of an 03 WRX. My new engine is a 2.5 from an 05 legacy GT. I am trying to keep all of my 2.0 wiring and ECU (which I was told I could do) for the 2.5 by using my 2.0 intake, throttle body, and engine wiring harness on the 2.5.

The 2.0 has a single 2-wire cam position sensor at the front of the driver side head that reads pulses from the intake cam pulley. The 2.5 has two 3-wire cam position sensors at the rear of the heads that read pulses from something on the back of the intake camshaft (presumably, since I have not opened up the valve covers).

Is there a way to wire my 2-wire 2.0 engine harness to one of the 2.5 3-wire sensors that will work properly? I have not looked at all the other required connectors yet, but this one seem to be problematic.

Thanks

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    Skip,
    I don't know if this will help you.
    On my two (04 & 05) 2.5L FXT AVCS engines. The sensor are called "Active valve control angle sensors" . They are 3 wire connectors each. Pin 1 is 12 volts from the main relay, Pin 2 is the sensor wire to the ECU. Pin 3 is to the ECU sensor ground wire. There isn't anything called a "cam sensor" on my engines.

is the 05 legacy GT and AVCS engine?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-24-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. Yes the 05 LGT is an AVCS engine. I believe the thing you are referring to is the sensor that controls the AVCS valve located on the front of the head?? At the back of the head is the cam position sensors. Another 3 wire sensor.

Supposedly, if you do what I am trying to do, you just don't use the AVCS. I have been searching to figure out what to do with the cam position sensors.

Skip

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No you can not. The 2 wire is a VR (variable reluctor) and has a sine wave output. Three wire is a hall effect sensor and has square wave output. And Subaru uses the same sensor on both sides so on side is high and goes low where the other side is low and goes high. I went through hell getting the aftermarket ECU's to synch up because I assumed both were doing the same thing.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I found that cosworth makes a bolt on bracket to mount a WRX cam position sensor on the front of an ej255 that allows you to use the WRX sensor. I ordered one of those and will give that a shot.

Skip