BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 exhaust question

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 exhaust question

I have a question for the guys running the LS3. What did you guys do about headers? Will the stock manifolds work? I received my connect and cruise this week and I’m not sure if the new FFR pipes are still built wrong or if the stock manifolds are not correct for this application. It appears that with the stock manifolds the short pipes point down at approximately a 30 degree angle.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the ceramic coated Hooker pipes from FFR. They worked perfectly. See post #40

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-by-wallace18

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wallace. I was hoping you would answer. I followed your Richey’s build but wasn’t sure which headers you used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the FFR-supplied LS exhaust connection to the Hooker cast manifolds 2.25 or 2.50 inch? Does anyone know? Hooker now has both, and obviously the 2.50 Hooker outlet is going to flow more air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bellingson View Post
    Is the FFR-supplied LS exhaust connection to the Hooker cast manifolds 2.25 or 2.50 inch? Does anyone know? Hooker now has both, and obviously the 2.50 Hooker outlet is going to flow more air.
    I'll try to remember to measure them when I get home from work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have time to measure the inlet of the FFR supplied pipe that's supposed to connect to the outlet of the Hooker cast manifold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bellingson View Post
    Did you have time to measure the inlet of the FFR supplied pipe that's supposed to connect to the outlet of the Hooker cast manifold?
    Sorry for the delay. Yes. I finally remembered last night. It measures 2.145 inches. So, it looks like the 2.25 will fit but probably not the 2.5. I would imagine the flanges are larger on the 2.5's also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having trouble with the FF LS down pipes. I have the Hooker 8501 exhaust manifolds installed, which are supposed to be compatible with the down pipes. As you can see in the pictures the two pipes are slightly different from side to side, both in length and flange angle. I have swapped them from side to side and the pictured appears to be the best but it still hits the frame on the right side. I contacted FF this past week and they suggested trying to shift the motor/transmission slightly and I have tried that all morning with less than stellar results. Anyone have any ideas?IMG_1015.JPGIMG_1016.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1021.JPGIMG_1022.JPGIMG_1010.JPGLeft Down Pipe.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at post #40 in my Richey 33 build thread. I remember having to put a long bar on the down pipe and make it clear the frame. 1/4" maybe all you get. It is very tight fit. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Look at post #40 in my Richey 33 build thread. I remember having to put a long bar on the down pipe and make it clear the frame. 1/4" maybe all you get. It is very tight fit. .

I considered that but I was afraid of breaking the manifold. Will they take the pressure?
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always heat the down pipe up some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    You can always heat the down pipe up some.
    Thanks. I will try that. I wasn't sure how stainless would react to heat. Here is where I'm at now. It's a little better than it was.IMG_1024.JPG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The metal would have to red hot to bend easily. It will discolor and need repolishing. An oxy-acetylene torch would be best. Small items can reach red-hot temps with a propane or mapp gas torch, but probably not something that large.

Post Thanks / Like
    HVACMAN, I found exact same thing. The left hand primary pipe is bang on, the right hand primary pipe is incorrect. FFR sent me another set but they were identical and also did not fit. To date i don`t think they have fixed the issue. I am making a 2.5" system with BORLA crate mufflers, cutouts and balance pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ33HR View Post
    HVACMAN, I found exact same thing. The left hand primary pipe is bang on, the right hand primary pipe is incorrect. FFR sent me another set but they were identical and also did not fit. To date i don`t think they have fixed the issue. I am making a 2.5" system with BORLA crate mufflers, cutouts and balance pipe.
    Thanks for the information. I am glad to know it's not something I did. When I receive stage 2 I will check the exhaust pipe fit. I guess the worst thing that could happen is, I have to have the right down pipe modified.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said before I complained to FFR so mush that they paid $385.00 to have local a muffler shop build me set that fit