Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: texasaviator has heat. How did you place your vents?

Post Thanks / Like

texasaviator has heat. How did you place your vents?

These are the two options I want to run with. Is there anything that will interfere with them pointing straight down towards the end of the dash?

You can find tons more pictures in my build thread of how I routed the hoses, how I cut the firewall, etc.

TIA
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 11-26-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted mine with the ball vent pointing downward, but more right, towards the underside of the steering column. I throws heat down into the footbox, which in turns wafts out over your lap, and chest while your cruising. Same on the passenger side. Easy to reach down to adjust the angle, or to shut off.

-Mounted more to the left, as you show it facing outward, it may interfere when your trying to bolt the windscreen on.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 11-25-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill. I will probably mount it facing down then. As you have suggested more inboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I unscrewed the ball vent from the plastic housing and installed the vent into my under dash aluminum. John

IMG_4178 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Pointing down as well. I didn't use defrosters, so I have 4 foot/leg vents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally installed piping to the defrost vents and foot box. After 2 years of driving, I relaiized I never needed the defrost vents, and re-routed the second set of tubes to the foot box. With 2 ball vents in each foot box, I found I have substantially more heat on my legs (a BIG improvement.) I too mounted the ball vents in the under dash aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the inputs. I have a feeling I will need the defrost and wipers because I plan on running a soft top as well. We have cold mornings in texas but warm and hot afternoons. I want to be able to drive the car to work on a cold morning and enjoy it on the way home from work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Pointing down as well. I didn't use defrosters, so I have 4 foot/leg vents.
    Where did you buy your two extra ball vents?
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    From Vintage Air. They have totally changed their web site, so I'm not sure of the part no. It could be 49353-VUL. Call them up, and I'm sure they can help. I've talked to them on a few different parts of their heater system. Start here I guess... https://www.vintageair.com/accessori...cat3=&pageno=2
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I, too, disassembled the ball vents and discarded the mounts, then installed them directly into my underdash support panel.

I also used the original-style blade defroster covers and plumbed tubing to those, as well. I used the funnels that came with the system for under the cowl at the defroster slots, but plugged the bottoms and piped in some PVC elbows to make the packaging work better under the hood.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for the photos. I came across your build in my research and saw your dash on Google images.