Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side view and rear view mirror location

Post Thanks / Like

Side view and rear view mirror location

I'd like to drill these holes just once. I'm wondering if there is any best/ideal location for the mirrors.
    I'm planning to use both mirrors that came with the complete kit. I know the manual mentions the rear view mirror be positioned 1/4" in from body lip. Is that too close? As for the side view mirror, in the manual it appears to be located slightly to the side. How do I best determine that position. I will be planning to using the wind wings.
    Mk4 Roadster #8855, 351W, TKO 600, EFI, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to consider the Breeze mirrors that attach to the wind wings. Very nice parts. NO drilling in the body needed.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=757
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

Mirrors

I have the same ones and the visibility to the rear is great. They are pricey.
    I mounted my rear view mirror on the top of the windshield. Again, great visibility to the rear.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug
    Can the rear view mirror that came with the kit be mounted to the windshield ?
    Or did you buy a different one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which way is more period correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Period correct looks nice. Being able to see what's behind or coming up along side of you is even better.

I think if you have the opportunity to use a mirror like the windwing mounted Breeze units and compare them to an original style mounted on the fender the differences will be obvious. The only thing I ever saw from the fender mirror was the rear fender.

There are some Raydots, from ********** I believe, that mount on windshield frame brackets in front of the windwings.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used these on my first and just received them for my current build.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Inch,3811.html

No offense to Mark Reynolds, but these work great and aren't nearly as pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

Standard Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by DowenS View Post
    Doug
    Can the rear view mirror that came with the kit be mounted to the windshield ?
    Or did you buy a different one?
    Yes, I bought some screws and nuts at Ace Hardware. Not sure the size, just take your mirror you. I had to narrow the nuts to fit in the channel on the top of the windshield. I believe the screws were 1/4” in length. I put a piece of inner tube between the mirror and the windshield channel. For some reason unable to add picture. Send pm with cell # and I will text.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    So do the speedway mirrors mount to the windshield frame or to the doors or fenders
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug

PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    So do the speedway mirrors mount to the windshield frame or to the doors or fenders
    To the windshield frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfernan View Post

Nice find

Post Thanks / Like
    You can glue the rear view mirror to the top of the glass...
    Mine has been “stuck” for 10 yrs. on my Mark II.
    As far as the outside mirrors, I have 2 holes in my front fender where I mounted the supplied mirror.
    Very poor view...
    I ended up with some round racing mirrors mounted to the windshield frame... looks good.. way better view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also with due respect to Mark's Breeze products, much of which is on my car, these mirrors were more than I could justify. I picked up one of the Speedways and mounted it with a handful of stainless fittings from Ace and a $3 piece of aluminum from Home Depot.

Rear visibility is excellent. I have my centre mirror dash mounted and have no issue at all with rearward vision.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny this thread pops up as today I started mounting the mirrors. The FF instructions show a different side view mirror than what is supplied. The one shown has screws, the one I have has bolts. Long story short I cut the heads off the bolts and now have “studs”. It will be easier to just put a nut on the end instead of trying to bolt the mirror on with such little access. I tried for a very long time before the cutoff wheel came out.

I too like the look of the side view mirror supplied with the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfernan View Post

I bought the same Speedway mirrors and mounted them to the windshield with the supplied brackets, but they will not adjust out far enough to actually see what is behind me. How do you have them mounted Jorge?

Thanks.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    I went period correct and find that the rear view mirror is fine for directly behind me. The side view is not very worthwhile but does give me some view. The problem with both is they vibrate so much from the car that you can't pick out fine details. So I just look ahead and put everything behind me!!
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Imitation is the best form of flattery. That is apparent here. While that is an alternative it IS just that. I can not apologize for the amount of time and quality that I place in making your wing mirrors. Much goes into hand making each one of them for you. More than you realize. After you realize how much time, running around, gathering materials, searching for something that may or may not work or worse fail over time because of the quality of the product. Then actually making them. You could have been done with it by either ordering a set from me or through Mark at Breeze. The mirrors I produce are polished billet aluminum with a slight convex mirror glass that expands the field of view without distortion. If they fail as a result of my workmanship, I will take care of you. That has occurred I think, twice over the entire time of producing these. Your mirror set is proudly made and supplied entirely in the USA by two of your supporting vendors. DowenS, Your original question concerning where to mount the original style mirrors is exactly why I decided to make these. I did not want to install them on my expensive, labor intense, freshly painted body. My first car show to introduce myself to the Kentucky Cobra Club was a hit with the mirrors. Everyone wanted them. I originally only intended to make these for myself. Everyone loved the concept. If you decide to get a one or the set from Mark or myself, you will not be disappointed, I guarantee that!