Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Welder available in Chicago area? Need to weld on rear end banana bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Welder available in Chicago area? Need to weld on rear end banana bracket

Hello!

I am in Bolingbrook. Looking for a local welder in area (or couple hours driving distance) I need to have the banana bracket fitted and welded.
    Preferably someone whose done this work before and know what to do here.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Most skilled welding shops should be able to do this for you, but you can always give a call to a local hot-rod shop... one that comes to mind is the Roadster Shop in Mundelein, IL.

Another possibility is to give a call to the Eastwood store down on Cicero just north of 294 and ask them if they can either do it or give you a recommendation to a south-suburban welding shop.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on up to WI and I could help.

Jim in Janesville

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    Come on up to WI and I could help.

Jim in Janesville
    Hi Jim,
    Can you weld something like this? The other side is pretty tight with the other axle weld.

20171127_195808

20171127_195814
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

From those pics, it looks like the banana bracket is too large for the axle tube. Not sure if FFR makes different sizes, but you should give them a call and let them know the diameter of the axle tube.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it hasn't been bolted up tight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Looks like it hasn't been bolted up tight
    Yep - I stand corrected.... was looking at it on my phone and now that I'm on a computer with a larger pic, I can see that it's just set in place.

Remember that this doesn't really need a full weld - I just did a little stitch welding on mine and it's held up fine over the years.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gumball,
    This rear end got more meat on it. It is pretty thick. I called FFR and they don't make any larger brackets.
    So I started grinding the bracket part to make is fit. Also need to get the bolts aligned. That is why you see the gap there.
    I don't mind working on this, and get a bit dirty. This is a definitely a job for a big boy, I used some profanities last night
    I like your feedback about the welding. I think for me that is mostly 'feeling good' safety now.

One interesting things - I started calling a local shops about welding this. As soon as I mentioned Cobra and safety the price doubled...one shop quoted me $315.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you can make sure its on the right angle I dont think it will be a problem.

I sent a pm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    As long as you can make sure its on the right angle I dont think it will be a problem.

I sent a pm
    Thanks, nice talking to you. Will keep you posted
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not say Cobra... say Mustang.. also get the bracket where you want it. put the hosing in the back of your car/truck and drive to the shop.. giving the welders a look at what you want is well worth the effort of carting it to them. otherwise they are just going to spit ball a number over the phone and see if it sticks.. just my $.02
    Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Moser rear end and had to grind a lot off a lot to make the bracket fit on the axle housing. I had my local speed shop weld it and it cost me about $70. You can also try muffler shops for the welding if they have they have a decent welder in the shop. Heat management is critical here....I know if I need something small done I bring it to Midas and they usually don’t even charge me. He is dark picture of mine on the car. 45A08E82-53FA-4914-BFC6-922FE54414A8.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    I have a Moser rear end and had to grind a lot off a lot to make the bracket fit on the axle housing. I had my local speed shop weld it and it cost me about $70. You can also try muffler shops for the welding if they have they have a decent welder in the shop. Heat management is critical here....I know if I need something small done I bring it to Midas and they usually don’t even charge me. He is dark picture of mine on the car. 45A08E82-53FA-4914-BFC6-922FE54414A8.jpeg
    Thanks brewha.
    I had to grind the heck out of it to make it fit. Glad I am not the only one.
    I am thinking we both have the same rear end. What oil did you use? Synthetic, non?

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    I would not say Cobra... say Mustang.. also get the bracket where you want it. put the hosing in the back of your car/truck and drive to the shop.. giving the welders a look at what you want is well worth the effort of carting it to them. otherwise they are just going to spit ball a number over the phone and see if it sticks.. just my $.02
    Chris AKA Gromit
    I hear you. I have a minivan, and getting it in there would be an effort. I got some local leads now, fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a non synthetic oil. I believe it was Castrol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my rear end with my kit and it was shipped direct from Moser Engineering. The bracket is welded without the clamps on mine.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    AMS welding in Lyons il. 7800 w 47th str
    Right off I55 Between Harlem and 1st ave
    Phone is 708-447-7800
    I just had him weld my air compressor that sprung a leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I ordered my rear end with my kit and it was shipped direct from Moser Engineering. The bracket is welded without the clamps on mine.

Hi Papa. Good for you, I didn't order it from with the kit.
    I got the bracket fitted now, pending welder this week. Minor setback, but chugging along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Szatan5721 View Post
    Phone is 708-447-7800
    Thanks for this. I have one good local lead. Will take it there this week. A small family run machine shop. Very reasonable. They are actually manufacturing tribikes parts.

Spoke to the owner and now have all sorts of mods ideas. Oh boys, I need to stick with the manual! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Many of those brackets were a B with an itch, to fit over the axle tube. You have to remove paint from the axle tube, and the powder coat from the bracket. Then use smaller bolts and nuts to draw the cap over the tube. A few spot welds on both the cap and the bracket is all that's needed.

Another means of securing the banana bracket from twisting/rotating on the tube, was to run a VPM brace, (or home-made) from the top bolt of the banana brace, where the third link attach's, to the pumpkin. The upper control arm bushing eye, (used on the Mustangs), on the pumpkin was the perfect place to attach the other end of the brace. I see your eyes have been cut off already, and I'm not sure if there is still a spot you could bolt it on.

A couple examples of the added brace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Szatan5721 View Post
    Phone is 708-447-7800
    That’s a great shop! I believe the owner’s name is Terry. You’ll never see a shop as clean and organized. He did some work on my roadster!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!