Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Does anyone have advise on 18" tires for my IRS MK4?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have advise on 18" tires for my IRS MK4?

I am looking for performance tires that track well on the freeway and have predictable performance in corners. I'm in So CA so I don't care about wet performance and I may do some autocross. I picked up the FFR 18' wheels on the Black Friday sale and need some rubber. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most (including me) will recommend what they chose. I went with BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 245/40ZR18 front, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 315/30ZR18 rear. Just under 2,000 miles with them so far, and I like them a lot. Decent traction for a performance street tire. Smooth and quiet running. Like most you'll find though, not cheap. I would have preferred a 255 for the front, but they don't have that size. The 245's are pretty meaty though. Appear nearly identical to the 255 Nitto's I had on my previous build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    In went with the Nitto INVO tires, but with only 240 miles on them, I can't really tell you a lot. Thus far, I like them fine. They look good, they are quiet on the freeway, they have great traction. I chose them because they were one of the only companies that had a front and rear tire pair that "matched". In hindsight, the one thing I don't like about them is that they did not have a 315 rear. The largest they made at the time was 295. As they are, they are just big enough for the rear wheel, but they do not blossom out beyond the wheel. I think they might look a little better with just a touch of bow on them. More importantly, I would prefer to have just a bit of rubber beyond the wheel to protect the wheel from hitting the curb. (Ask me how I learned that one!!)
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3500 miles on my Falken Azenis and am very pleased. With that being said I don't drive near the cars limits.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Most (including me) will recommend what they chose. I went with BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 245/40ZR18 front, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 315/30ZR18 rear. Just under 2,000 miles with them so far, and I like them a lot. Decent traction for a performance street tire. Smooth and quiet running. Like most you'll find though, not cheap. I would have preferred a 255 for the front, but they don't have that size. The 245's are pretty meaty though. Appear nearly identical to the 255 Nitto's I had on my previous build.

Ditto.

I have purchased three sets of these for my personal car and two other builds.

Monster man- One set is on the white car I sent you pictures
    of with the FFR 18's.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Falken tires also. One thing about these tires and the other makes as well they are very sticky. They pick up and toss every pebble or stone they encounter.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

7. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    x3 on edwards recommendation. Also if you want to track the car, maybe put a nice street tire on the Halibrands and get a set of much lighter forged wheels for the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rivals are a good choice for an all around high performance tire. If you're looking for a step up in traction and performance Nitto NT-01 and Toyo 888 are available in the proper sizes but due to the softer "R" compounds will not be a long lived (I get ~5,000 out of a set of NT-01).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Rivals are a good choice for an all around high performance tire. If you're looking for a step up in traction and performance Nitto NT-01 and Toyo 888 are available in the proper sizes but due to the softer "R" compounds will not be a long lived (I get ~5,000 out of a set of NT-01).

Jeff
    Thanks to everyone’s reply, sounds like “get what you can get”. Just make sure they are black and round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraKan View Post
    Thanks to everyone’s reply, sounds like “get what you can get”. Just make sure they are black and round.
    Hopefully you got a little more out of this thread (and others like it...) than that. Tires are an important decision and should match your planned use for the car.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

12. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Determine what the use of the car will be and purchase the tire that best meets your needs.

I'm running Nitto 555's and they are a good street tire; however, if I were going to auto cross the car, I'd get an extra set of wheels and run Nitto NT01's.

Remember that your life and the life of your passenger depends on the choice you make so choose wisely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy with Michellin Pilot Sports. They ride nice, look good, and were one of the few tires that have a real tread wear warranty.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you got a little more out of this thread (and others like it...) than that. Tires are an important decision and should match your planned use for the car.
    What I was trying to get across is Tire Race has two tires that match you size Falken and Yokohama. Therefore variety is not extensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I was trying to get across is Tire Race has two tires that match you size Falken and Yokohama. Therefore variety is not extensive.
    I'm not sure what Tire Race is, but if its a tire store, have you looked at other stores? Discount Tire (America's Tire in CA) can get virtually any tire made whether they carry it in the store or not. I agree selections of matching tires in these sizes is limited, but not to two options for sure.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Very happy with Michellin Pilot Sports. They ride nice, look good, and were one of the few tires that have a real tread wear warranty.

These are exactly what I have on mine... I'm just under 10,000 miles and they look like new. I was just looking at them today and seriously, they look new. I'm very happy with them and I promise, I have not been easy on them. 99.9% street, but very enthusiastic street driving...

I got mine from Walmart.com
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-...-Tire/15103378
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-...XL-94Y/4062292
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 02-22-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

19. Likes Aircontroller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that everyone likes to window shop at Tire Rack and Discount Tire online. But honestly my local tire shop, that I've dealt with for 25+ years, can always compete with the online outlets. They are always within a few dollars of the national online companies. I recently shopped online for a set of Nitto 555G2 tires for a Mark4 we're working on for a customer. Tucker Tires in Covina Ca (my tire guys) were 5 dollar total difference. I would have to take the tire and wheels there to have them mounted and balanced anyways. Just less hassle to have them do it all.

21. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered an MK IV kit at the end of February and am looking to buy wheels and tires. I want 315s on the back. I have found some 18x11 mag wheels I like at Performance Plus Tire. There are options for bolt pattern, backspace, and offset. The bolt pattern needs to match that of the FF hub. But I don't know what that is. I know what offset and backspace are, but I wonder if they matter for fit on an MK IV. Is there anything wrong with zero offset and backspace?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I ordered an MK IV kit at the end of February and am looking to buy wheels and tires. I want 315s on the back. I have found some 18x11 mag wheels I like at Performance Plus Tire. There are options for bolt pattern, backspace, and offset. The bolt pattern needs to match that of the FF hub. But I don't know what that is. I know what offset and backspace are, but I wonder if they matter for fit on an MK IV. Is there anything wrong with zero offset and backspace?
    Offset and backspace are hugely important. For the 315 rears especially, the tires just fit between the coilovers on the inside and the wheel well arches on the outside. Strongly suggest the same specs Factory Five has if you're not going to use their wheels. https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/158...eplica-wheels/.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolt pattern is 5x4.5". You will want the same backspace/offset. The fit is very tight on both the front and rear sides of the FFR wheels, so not much room to play with for a good fit. Also the spokes may not clear the brake calipers for all styles of wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion, wait on buying tires. If I read your post right, you do not have the car yet?
    You might finish the car in 6 months or 6 years. No need in the tires sitting and getting hard and degrading.
    JMO
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the help. That is exactly what I needed to know. My kit is supposed to be ready to ship in early May.

Post Thanks / Like
    The company making the wheel I have picked (American Racing) does not make a 18x9 rim. It makes an 18x8 and an 18x9.5. The front tire recommended by FFR is a 255/35. The man at American Racing said that tire would fit on with the 8 or the 9.5. Is there a good reason for picking one over the other? He also said that if I bought the 9.5" I would want to change the backspace from 6 to 6.25. Does all this sound right to you guys?