Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 Project Updates From Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    i mentioned it a while back, back when i still had my TMIC i made a plate with sheet metal and zip ties that fit under the intercooler over the Y pipe and ducted air coming down from the intercooler out towards the back of the engine bay it fed back and attached via zip ties to the trans mount. it did a pretty good job of keeping hot air from coming up out of the scoop when stopped and keeping cool air moving across the intercooler

sadly i didn't not take measurements or any empirical data to support my claim that things ran better and the intercooler was colder, before i could melt snow around the hood scoop idleing the car, afterwards snow wouldn't melt at all (yes i scraped it out of the way before leaving). you could also feel the difference with your hand after running the car a bit and parking it

just an idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    ok it's been a week Mr. Smith
    the teeming masses would like another smackeral of info

please
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling we wont be seeing anything new till SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to compare the latest 818 spy shots to a Yugo...

Post Thanks / Like
    dunno. Looked more like an AMC gremlin mated with a Pontiac Aztec to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adesilva View Post
    I have a feeling we wont be seeing anything new till SEMA
    I think so too, maybe he will hold back till the big unviel at Sema.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
    I think so too, maybe he will hold back till the big unviel at Sema.
    I'm betting he releases full views of each model before SEMA. But JUST before!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I'm betting he releases full views of each model before SEMA. But JUST before!
    How far off is the Sema show?

Post Thanks / Like
    Starts Nov 1st....I hope to be there personally to see the good stuff...but yeah, I'm guessing something might be "leaked" right before. Either way, exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    They have 3 of the models completed.

I caught just a glimpse of them when I was there on Tuesday, they had them in a back room and when I walked by I was able to see 3 but only for a split second.

But yeah I'm sure we will see them all in just a few weeks, I've got a friend who is going to SEMA and he is going to take a bunch of pictures for me.

I'm Excited to see all the models in detail and see how the next stage of body design is going to turn out. On a side note I was a little surprised how narrow the cockpit is, seems like a lot of people on the interior thread have grand ideas about center consoles etc that are not going to be feasible. Plus there is a diagonal bar that runs right through the center.

That chassis is going to be very very stiff.

Smythe

Post Thanks / Like
    As of right now I am most excited about the open house so that I can see them all in person

I know that they have 3 models done now and originally wanted to have 5 to select from... will they still be creating 5 or only 3 now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKoschwitz View Post
    Here's the scan of the page I mentioned:

Attachment 4514

Maybe the design for the high MPG 818?

Edit: Now that I look at it more closely, it's probably the roadster. Initially, my attention was drawn to the nose, which seems more aerodynamic than the Xabier design. If you look behind the seats, though, you see two farings are planned. I think this design is designed to not have a roof.
    I am a bit surprised that so many people were not a fan of his roadster design. It actually reminds of me a mini Carrera GT (Especially the Headlights)

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant wait, saving the pennies!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a bit surprised that so many people were not a fan of his roadster design. It actually reminds of me a mini Carrera GT (Especially the Headlights)
    The camera angle chosen was very poor. If I were handed only this picture for the 818, I'd forget about the whole project. The hood line looks high enough for it to be FWD not MR, and the rear just looks like every other 2-seater out there. The front fenders are way too thick, and the rear fenders look like the wheel arches were afterthoughts. The windshield stands too tall and the nose looks more like an S2000 than any exotic. Now, it's possible all of this boils down to the poor camera angle and the fact that it's white on white with soft shadows. But if this were the only design and the only picture, I'd be very disappointed.

Thankfully there will be 5 designs to choose from and a lot of camera angles to really get a feel for them. Maybe this design will look better in color and with better angles. Maybe it won't. But what's really great here is that we are being offered a choice rather than FFR making one design and saying "Here it is, please buy it." They are interested in our feedback. And I hope that WITH our feedback, they create something truly exciting. Not just to drive, but to look at as well.

Here's a question for FFR: If the 5th model won't be ready for SEMA, when the full images will come out, will you post at least the drawing of the 5th model so we know which one you chose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Draco actually makes a good point about camera angles and this is a pet peeve of mine that I see a lot. People tend to stand too close to their cars when photographing them and then zoom out to get the whole car in the picture. The problem is that with wide angle shots there is a lot of distortion in the image and it makes the car look funny. It could definitely account for making the hood look larger, fenders thicker, etc., like Draco mentions.

The proper way to do it is to stand further back and zoom in (unless you're purposefully going for some kind of "artistic" wide angle view of the car). This eliminates the distortion and gives a much more true to life representation of what the car looks like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that we can attribute some of this to the fact that it was a picture they didn't want getting out in the first place. I at least think that design has some potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind screen

Do you know what wind screen they used for the car? http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...achmentid=4514
    And do you think it will be used on the other cars as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that we can attribute some of this to the fact that it was a picture they didn't want getting out in the first place. I at least think that design has some potential.
    It seems to me that Dave indicated that the car in the photo has undergone significant changes since that picture was taken, and doesn't necessarily really look like that anymore............ We'll just have to wait and see, and thankfully, not much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! No updates from Dave in more than half a month? Bummer. I really love getting more information on my next big project.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know I cant leave you guys alone for too long or you'll burn the house down! Ha. Been busy as always here getting ready for SEMA. I have an idea. You guys have been (along with the GRM crowd) following and particiapting and, in many cases, directing the project (feedback does get read!). What do you say we pull the wraps off the models here at FFR before SEMA and post full pics here of the cars... not trying to do any big press releases, just show the community and core people where the cars are and maybe go into more detail on first model launch, specifics about running gear and maybe some updates on the chassis, brakes, suspension, etc? Any takers for a small presentation/update here at FFR maybe this saturday morning?
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the silence, BUT we have been slaving away quite a bit. I was thinking slide show of CAD work, scale models and chassis updates with MAYBE some conservative production ideas and dates for the future. I might be able to put this together for saturday.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure anything you can put together will be appreciated and well received.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck yeah!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I know I cant leave you guys alone for too long or you'll burn the house down! Ha. Been busy as always here getting ready for SEMA. I have an idea. You guys have been (along with the GRM crowd) following and particiapting and, in many cases, directing the project (feedback does get read!). What do you say we pull the wraps off the models here at FFR before SEMA and post full pics here of the cars... not trying to do any big press releases, just show the community and core people where the cars are and maybe go into more detail on first model launch, specifics about running gear and maybe some updates on the chassis, brakes, suspension, etc? Any takers for a small presentation/update here at FFR maybe this saturday morning?
    I might even drive back down to see that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Movieman! I owe you so that might be a good idea.

I'm just figuring that you guys here deserve to see the work before the throngs at SEMA, and perhaps the feedback can direct us ton the next step faster and more precisely than the masses. What I'm thinking is to put together a presentation of where we are, show the models, the CAD work to date, maybe even some full-size stuff we've been working on and describe where we think we should go and solicit open questions and advice about the path or options. One big question connected to the body design selection is the model we launch first.. a race version (gets better press and is real sexy with road car coming.. think x-bow KTM and lotus 211), or maybe affordable roadster with soft top first, or maybe go for the tough eco-car now and garner well-timed press. Still chasiss can go all directions and bodies can be modded fast, we just are at the next node here, on time and as promised. The next big node is model selction and car building.

I think Saturday is possible with a small crew for ideas/feedback and maybe post some pic here for those who cant participate. Model 4 is getting painted this week (it is here) and I think model 5 is going to be a no-show. I think we have enough to go to the next node in the project. Keep in mind that we have been ON TARGET with this project that began following a customer dinner at SEMA last year where we spoke about the car and another project that were in competition for R&D dollars and had been conceived for some years.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Goes out to check the oil and gas up the Intrepid..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

I'll be there. looking forward to it.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I would take the trip up to Wareham for this! I would really like to see the models in person and get a better idea for what they actually look like in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, that sounds like a great idea. Too bad there's no way I would be able to drive out for Saturday, so I'll have to settle for internet updates and picks. From the group of people who come to FFR, you could then post a poll online with different ideas/routes to go. Personally I would love to see the race version or the affordable roadster first. That's what drew me in. The car is already gonna get great mpg's due to the weight. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see what you show us next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! I'll bring the doughnuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm late to the 818 party but after looking at some of the contest entries I'm very excited about this new project! Dave, for those of us who cannot attend the presentation, would you please create a new thread in the 818 forum with the release information? That way it doesn't get lost in this thread and makes it easier to get to the information. Thank you for your hard work!

Oh, and don't forget pictures. Lots of pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    West Coaster.....Bummer.

Great idea though. Don't keep us forum-only folks feeling like second class citizens..lots of pics please.

SEMA is in Vegas? I suppose it's not open to the public? Wanna be my hero Dave....?
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 10-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to be there, but you're a little to far away for a weekend roadtrip Anxiously awaiting pictures and info on what you have and where you are going.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKoschwitz View Post
    Cool! I'll bring the doughnuts.
    Meet ya at Dunks down the street..I'll get the coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to particpate! Is there any way you could do an interactive webcast / presentation?

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds amazing, I know I would certainly go. I am only about 20 minutes away from FF so I can be there at any time!

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Pre-SEMA unveil

YES! Thank you for showing this core group the progress so far. I am excited to see a few Solidworks screen shots of the chassis and pics of the scaled and full size model bodies. Rock on Dave and the FFR crew!

Oh and as far as which model to debut first, my vote goes to ALL of them. You can do it!

-Justin

Post Thanks / Like

saturday

Sorry for the silence, BUT we have been slaving away quite a bit. I was thinking slide show of CAD work, scale models and chassis updates with MAYBE some conservative production ideas and dates for the future. I might be able to put this together for saturday.
    Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm here wondering if I can afford a last minute plane ticket from Florida. I don't suppose that there's any chance you can set up an invitation only web video stream for contest entrants and forum members? We could IM any comments we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave we appreciate the extra consideration on the unveil.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast