BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need some direction for engine front pullies and water pump type!

Post Thanks / Like

Need some direction for engine front pullies and water pump type!

Ok guys, need some direction on the front of the engine set-up. I’m going to be using power steering (Power steering pump mounted on driver side mount and the alternator passenger side mount) and was wondering what Drive belt set-up to use.
    I failed to mention my engine is a 302 SBF

Will I need a reverse water pump?

Anyone with advice or pictures would be helpful?

Thanks
    Last edited by Lowrod; 11-30-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First you need to provide a little more info like what engine you are using. 289/302/351 390/427/428/429/460/4.6 Coyote?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have that setup on my Gordon Levy built sbf 427, reverse flow water pump. 6 groove serpentine pulleys.
    530798F9-AD6F-4F62-9066-AF8B9B612FDB.jpeg
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its for a windsor, go with march pulleys.

Last edited by TexasAviator; 11-29-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford 302 - '93 Front Dress - 68" Belt - Reverse Water Pump - Power Steering on Driver Side, and Alt on Passenger Side

Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is just like Dad’s, but stuck with OEM pulleys for dependability of cooling and battery charging on the street.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    If its for a windsor, go with march pulleys.

I gotta ask TexasAviator, what valve covers are you running on the beautiful motor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my setup. The alternator is down a little lower than most. Reverse rotation water pump

waterpump.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a March setup for a 302 Windsor (alternator, PS Pump, reverse rotation water pump). Looks good, but I can't comment on how well it works because it's still on the engine stand.
    DSFront34Veiw.JPG

Toy4me and TexasAviator...
    Are you guys happy with the belt wrap angle on the water pump? I'd love to take my alternator to a lower position - similar to that shown in Toy4me's picture - using a Forte alternator mount. It would allow me to use an FE type coolant surge tank out of the manifold coolant outlet, which is currently impossible due to the tension arm for the March alternator mount.

The belt routing with the lower passenger side alternator would result in a water pump wrap that I thought would be a too small of an angle, but it wouldn't be much less than Toy4me's (and probably a bit more than TexasAviator's). Not a problem?
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had a problem with mine. I had a day where I was in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot 90 degree day and no issues, for the car, I melted. I do on occasion when it rpms quickly get a slight squeal but I can live with it. Taken it on 2 hour plus cruise in the heat and not a problem. The only thing I have not done yet is any autoX or track days so no sustained higher rpms with it. I thought the same thing on the angle of the belt but I thought I'd give it a try and so far its good. I have about 1500 miles on my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of your decisions will be based on what type of system you want to use. Either vee belt or serpentine systems are your choice. Vee belt is more old school and serpentine is single belt system. Serpentine would be more reliable in my opinion.I went old school and went to CVF Racing for a solution. They have lots of good information for selecting on their website. Their 302 vee belt system does not fit a F5 cobra for power steering, but they do have a solution using another water pump. Call them if you want to go that route. They were very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I gotta ask TexasAviator, what valve covers are you running on the beautiful motor?
    I bought them from an engine builder named skip white. They are fantastic quality and price. 75 shipped for pair. He has a website and an eBay store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    I'm using a March setup for a 302 Windsor (alternator, PS Pump, reverse rotation water pump). Looks good, but I can't comment on how well it works because it's still on the engine stand.
    DSFront34Veiw.JPG

Toy4me and TexasAviator...
    Are you guys happy with the belt wrap angle on the water pump? I'd love to take my alternator to a lower position - similar to that shown in Toy4me's picture - using a Forte alternator mount. It would allow me to use an FE type coolant surge tank out of the manifold coolant outlet, which is currently impossible due to the tension arm for the March alternator mount.

The belt routing with the lower passenger side alternator would result in a water pump wrap that I thought would be a too small of an angle, but it wouldn't be much less than Toy4me's (and probably a bit more than TexasAviator's). Not a problem?
    You simply turn the water pump with your hand and tighten the turnbuckle on the alternator until the pump wont move anymore. Its reliable. Been running this setup on a fox for a decade. Reverse rotation pump for a 5.0 fox mustang and it's serpentine from 90s mustang. Reliable.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 12-01-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been running that same setup (almost) as TexasAviator - but my Alt is on the drivers side . . . same amount of belt contact. Been 15 years now with no issues at all. I live in Vegas and the temps get to the 110°+ range some days during the summer. Never had an issue with flow, car won't get above 88°C (192°F) in city traffic. Been on 300+ mile cruises without issue also. Warmed over 5.0 w/EFI and factory reverse rotation pump, Ford Racing pulley arrangement.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    CFR Performance make a nice front-end kit for the SBF. Pretty reasonable too. Here's a video of my 414W with it installed. I've since swapped out to a set of black anodized pulleys which I like the look of better. Scott
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9mG...G81K1MWyTOJ-2A