Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with steering rack bellows

Post Thanks / Like

Help with steering rack bellows

Need part # for steering rack bellows mkll manual rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before FFR switched to another supplier for their current manual rack, they used to use flaming river racks. My manual rack is a flaming river for a mustang. You will want the billows for a mustang since they are skinny and fit in the frame rails and mounts. The way ffr welds up the frame to support the rack it doesnt allow for thick bellows. So the mustang ones work the best. Its funny you asked this question as I just purchased because flaming river bellows are garbage.

Also for your research here is a thread on the topic from the other forum. Tons of good info here.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rack-torn.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MK2 with a flaming river manual rack.

On my roadster , when I replaced mine a couple of years ago, the tech at flaming river said that the bellows were the same as a 74-78 mustang II manual rack.

The replacement boot was a MOOG K8437, which will fit either side. Does not have any provision for a vent tube. Rock auto had them for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late response, you guys are correct the Moog K8437 fits perfect. Just as a side note my car has offset rack bushings that raise the rack up to allow the bellows to clear the frame. I didn't get that far yet but, I think these mae also have something to do with bump steer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your offset bushings will definitely affect bump steer. There are loads of threads on that topic, which you'll quickly find doing a search. But they all start with the same step: measure your current setup before making any changes. Take a look at http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=bump+steer for at least two methods for measuring.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313