FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stock vs. Aftermarket oil pickup tube

Post Thanks / Like

Stock vs. Aftermarket oil pickup tube

I’m trying to get feel for how many people who have built cars with high cornering capabilities, and who actively use them as such, still retain their stock oil pickup. I’m in the process of designing a oil control device that would be far simpler and less expensive to manufacture if I made it exclusively for the aftermarket pickup crowd, but I don’t want to alienate the stock people if there are enough of you out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwalker105 View Post
    I’m trying to get feel for how many people who have built cars with high cornering capabilities, and who actively use them as such, still retain their stock oil pickup. I’m in the process of designing a oil control device that would be far simpler and less expensive to manufacture if I made it exclusively for the aftermarket pickup crowd, but I don’t want to alienate the stock people if there are enough of you out there.
    Hi Bill,
    Right now our car has 235F/255R Toyo R888 race compound tires and NO aero on the car. We autocross and track day the car a dozen times a year. We are able to achieve 1.1 to 1.2 peak "Gs" in a corner. Next year we will add aero and maybe some Hoosier A7 race slicks. Maybe increase to 1.5 Gs in the corners.
    On our first car we switched to a dry sump after losing and engine with a stock pan. for our second car I woud be interested to see what you have in mind. Lance has made a movable pick up that I think has merit. see below.
    What is your Idea?
    Bob

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0752.JPG
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-01-2017 at 02:23 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Right now our car has 235F/255R Toyo R888 race compound tires and NO aero on the car. We autocross and track day the car a dozen times a year. We are able to achieve 1.1 to 1.2 peak "Gs" in a corner. Next year we will add aero and maybe some Hoosier A7 race slicks. Maybe increase to 1.5 Gs in the corners.
    On our first car we switched to a dry sump after losing and engine with a stock pan. for our second car I woud be interested to see what you have in mind. Lance has made a movable pick up that I think has merit. see below.
    What is your Idea?
    Bob

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0752.JPG
    Hello Bob,

I don’t want to give too much away before I have a product ready for sale but it’s job will be to keep oil in the pan and not let it flow back up into the lower crankcase/cylinder head drainback area during hard cornering. I have a prototype that will go into testing next week. My primary aim is to keep the pickup submerged, but limiting the oil that goes back up into the heads should pay huge dividends for the pcv system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just Google "STI pickup failure"

The OEM pickup is junk in a stock Subaru, you'll kill one in no time with any sort of increase in Gs. Killer B or dry sump.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85