FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake booster options for Mark II

Post Thanks / Like

Brake booster options for Mark II

Brake boost option for Mark II
    I have a 2003 Mark II with a 1995 mustang fox body (everything).
    From my other posts I am looking to due some upgrades.
    1.) The mustang brakes and Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir, etc are installed.
    As most people my none Power brakes are very hard to push.

I have had the entire system looked at, it has all new disks in the front and drums in the back, stops fine and strait but, again hard to push. My old 2003 F5 building manual talks about changing out the brake petal with one with more leverage and they give the year of petted but, they want to cut and weld,it. Also looking for electric break booster or hydrilic options.

Has anyone upgraded to power breaks?
    If so what worked?
    Has anyone completed the brake petal replacement trick from F5?
    My information is old, does F5 have any power break options?

2.) Also looking to add a line lock from front brakes that fits on the gear shifter. I had one 20 years ago, helps on the drag line and on hills in traffic. Any one do this or both break options?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you did not modify your brake pedal then the brakes will be very difficult. You might actually find it easier to upgrade to power brakes then to get that pedal out on a finished car. All you need is a power brake booster from an 87-93 Mustang. I minor frame modification will be need in order to fit it. Just cut the 3/4 tube that runs under the booster. Leave an inch sticking out from the foot box and then make another cut at 6 inches. buy a longer piece of tubing and weld or bolt it beside the one you just cut. You will also need a brake booster spacer. find it here www.replicaparts.com
    You may also need to open up the hole in the foot box front. Simple to do. Bolt the brake booster spacer to the foot box front and then use a hole saw that fits in the spacer to open up the hole.
    All pretty simple sand can be done with the body on by removing the elephant ear and the side louver.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Mike. Whitby's sells a package that includes all the elements that Mike described. One stop shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also go w/ hydroboost from Forte. This would be a great system if you also want power steering since it will power both.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tberube View Post

Brake boost option for Mark II
    I have a 2003 Mark II with a 1995 mustang fox body (everything).
    From my other posts I am looking to due some upgrades.
    1.) The mustang brakes and Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir, etc are installed.
    As most people my none Power brakes are very hard to push.

If so what worked?

Has anyone completed the brake petal replacement trick from F5?
    I've tried a lot of things - I've autocrossed the CNC 241 5/8" x 3/4 with the brake pedal mod for years - that worked pretty well.

But still - "pretty heavy" pedal effort.

The last few weeks I've been experimenting with a conventional MC - and this particular one seems to give better "feel" and considerably less pedal effort.

In fact the pedal effort with my "modded" pedal was so low, I'm now using an unmodded pedal and the effort still seems to be considerably lower (+ still better feel).

Going through my collection of SN95 brake pedals, I've found at least 3 different OEM pedal ratios, but the one I'm using now is mounted in the OEM pivot and measures 3.25" from pivot to push pin, giving a pedal ratio of 4:1.

I was running 6:1 on the CNC241.

The master cylinder is a 21mm bore for a 1982 Thunderbird V6.

Part number M1907 for reman ($20 + core), NM1907 for new ($32) from Autozone.

It's making me pretty happy - The OP might want to add a residual pressure valve on the back circuit to keep the shoes close to the drums, I am 4 wheel disks.

It's a pretty cheap and easy experiment.

Another quick + easy option I suspect might work better for people with modded brake pedals might be the 7/8" MC from a 1981 Granada.

Autozone M1764 ($20 + core) reman, or NM1764 ($39) new.

Probably a lot easier to change MCs than try to mod the pedal (or mod to power brakes) on a finished car.

As always - follow the instructions and bench bleed a new MC with care - it's a lot easier on the bench than it will be in the car.

Good luck.