BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternator wiring when using standalone ECU

Post Thanks / Like

Alternator wiring when using standalone ECU

So I am using a standalone ECU and when I run the engine the alternator is not charging the battery. I am wondering if I need to do something with the wire from the alternator that used to go to the charge light on the dash. Since I am not using the Subaru ECU I assumed I did not need it. Does that wire have an effect on the alternator's function or is it only for the factory ECU's use?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that occurs when the odometer is unplugged to prevent racking up miles on the car without them being recorded.

I don't know for sure that's your issue, or how to fix it, but might be a start. I'm sure somebody has figured out what signal that wire is looking for to engage the charging circuit. You do definitely need that wire connected to something.
    Last edited by phil1734; 12-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure Subaru alternators use the same setup as pretty much all the rest. Typically the charge light circuit provides the initial trickle current to start the magnetic field up in the alternator. If it is disconnected, the field can't build = no output. Sometimes an alternator has enough residual magnetic field to get going but that old timer's claim may be a wives tale, not sure.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the plug, apply battery voltage to the blue/red wire and switched voltage to the black/white wire through the alternator light in the gauge cluster.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    On the plug, apply battery voltage to the blue/red wire and switched voltage to the black/white wire through the alternator light in the gauge cluster.
    I am not using a Subaru dash, so no light to connect through. Can I just connect it to 12V switched voltage or does there need to be some current draw in the circuit?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, You need a light bulb or resistor in the circuit.

Here is a nice discussion on alternator warning lamps.

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan...tc-t10387.html

They refer to the bulb being 2 watt 12 volt.
    so if you want to put a resistor in that line instead.

V^2 / P = R ------> 12^2 / 2 = 72 ohms

So I would something around 72 ohms + or - 10.
    You need 2 watts.
    I don't like things that get hot, so I would use at least a 10 watt resistor.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-02-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, you the man I'll try that this weekend.

Although, once the alternator self excites and the voltage on both sides of the resistor are equal, there would no longer be any current flowing and hence no heat right? So the resistor does not need to be so beefy as its only has current flowing for a brief moment until the alternator self excites right?
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 12-02-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Thanks Bob, you the man I'll try that this weekend.

Although, once the alternator self excites and the voltage on both sides of the resistor are equal, there would no longer be any current flowing and hence no heat right? So the resistor does not need to be so beefy as its only has current flowing for a brief moment until the alternator self excites right?
    Yes, BUT
    if you have an alternator failure, belt failure, or just forget to turn off the key. the resistor or light stays on.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Yes, BUT
    if you have an alternator failure, belt failure, or just forget to turn off the key. the resistor or light stays on.
    Bob
    Good point. better safe than on fire.