FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Side Pipes

After nearly 700 miles on my car I decided I needed side pipes which were quieter than the FFR chrome pipes I purchased with my complete kit. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound coming from the glasspacks, but for me it got old. Someone had commented on Boig Motorsports quiet pipes as an alternative. I also saw their advertisement on the forum. So, I reached out to Bob and discussed the features of the pipes which are light steel. Before I purchased them we discussed my options for painting them, coating them, etc. I eventually decided to paint them flat black with high temp Rustoleum spray paint.

So, I purchased a set and they arrived within a few weeks. I painted and installed them this last week (no shims needed) and was pleasantly surprised with the sound. Unbelievably quiet and my better half loves the sound. They have an awesome tone to them and look great. The original loud pipes are cool, and I see that a loud exhaust is part of what attracts people to this car. But, I plan to take some nice summer drives and the quiet really works for me. I may still wear earplugs for highway travel, but, it won't be due to the exhaust, but for wind and road noise. I will definitely not be wearing ear plugs around town and country roads.

Very nice product Bob.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to hear these pipes. Any chance you could post a video?

Like you I grew tired off the noise. I went with the flow masters slimlines. Makes operating the car much more enjoyable. Glad you found a solution you are pleased with.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quiet Pipes are a good investment for driving enjoyment, the glass wrap on the stockers is pretty much gone by the 500 mile mark. I talked to Mark from Breeze at the 07 Open House and he described them as "almost disappointingly quiet" but they sure did make the car more useable. I had mine ceramic coated and then just hit them with high temp paint each spring, silver one year, black the next, white once too

Scott
    Last edited by Scotty's65; 12-03-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    Quiet Pipes are a good investment for driving enjoyment, the glass wrap on the stockers is pretty much gone by the 500 mile mark. I talked to Mark from Breeze at the 07 Open House and he described them as "almost disappointingly quiet" but they sure did make the car more useable. I had mine ceramic coated and then just hit them with high temp paint each spring, silver one year, black the next, white once too

Scott
    I considered getting them ceramic coated but chose just to paint them for now and drive them for a season. Mark also recommended going this route initially as Ican always have them coated later. The headers are ceramic coated, so there isn't an excessive amount of heat buildup in the engine compartment. And, as I can tell, the heat seems to disparate quicker with the light steel material than with my SS pipes, so ceramic coating might not be necessary. We'll see.

Wareaglescott, I would post a video but gave up on posting pics a while back as it my equipment wouldn't cooperate. Maybe Scott or Bob could attached a sound video.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    There’s a great ceramic coated right down the road in Delevan! Did my pipes and they look great!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    There’s a great ceramic coated right down the road in Delevan! Did my pipes and they look great!
    Steno,

I was there a few weeks ago helping a friend drop off an entire frame for a 1950 dodge pickup truck he's restoring for sandblasting. Frame turned out great. Spoke with Jeremy and they'll coat it If and when I want.

Back from Florida I see. Or, are you down there for the winter?

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m back to the world unfortunately. Took the Cobra for a spin yesterday after an oil change and lube and tucked her in for the winter.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott;

There is a sound clip you can listen to on the www.boigmotorsports.com site. Go to products, and under quietpipes, click on "learn more".

The video is of Todd Buttrick's 392 stroker roadster.

Another happy customer may post his sound clip in the next week or so. (He's just moved--computer not set up yet!

Bob