Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  220

Thread: Edwardb’s Gen 3 Type 65 Coyote Coupe #59 Build: 5,000 Mile Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    A friend that is building a coupe had to change a few things.

IRS, 351 Windsor @ 427, T56 Magnum (not XL), Quicktime bellhousing. He's moving the engine forward about 2 inches and down about an inch. The T56 hit chassis steel and the transmission mount didn't fit as described in the manual. The shift tower hit trans tunnel steel. The end result is a complete new engine mount system and modified trans mount. Will also need to modify diagonal bracing in front of the oil pan for clearance even when using a rear sump pan but this is due to the engine position change.

We fit my spare block and his driveline components using the Energy engine & trans mounts. This provided a real installation test. The combination actually fits well once moved forward. Custom headers will be fabricated.

There was also a pinion angle issue that was mostly corrected with the changes. As installed the diff center section was slightly rotated down at the input shaft. This was probably due to the diff support structure locations not being correct and 1 of the 4 diff bolts not in-line, a modified off-set bushing was machined.

If the project includes a T56 I'd do whatever engine & trans test fitting you can once the diff assembly is installed. It will be a lot easier to correct early. The Coyote installation may be different enough that there isn't any interference.

On gearing: There is NO correct answer, only a solution that works with your selected engine power curve and then meets your needs, expectations and driving style.
    On wheelbase: It's actually 95" according to FFR specs, not 96". Sorry not trying to be a PITA, that just happens naturally.

Jim
    Hi Jim. Interesting comments. Also planning the same T56 Magnum. Not the XL. Obviously I have no way to know what will happen with mine until I get to that point. Probably some months (at least) depending on timing for the engine and which Coyote I end up using. I'm surprised about the fitment issues you're describing, as the 302/351/T56 combination is listed on the Gen 3 order sheet, so would seem it's a supported configuration. Without cutting and welding metal. Was there every any discussion with Factory Five about it? The three Gen 3 builds (that I know about anyway) from Factory Five were all Coyote builds, and at least one with the T56. So I'm hoping this is not an issue for my build. I do know for certain that a Coyote is shorter than the 302/351 block, at least in relation to where it sits. For the Roadster, they supply an adapter plate because the transmission mount doesn't reach the standard mounting location on the transmission A-frame. I just did a side-by-side comparison of my #7750 build (302 DART block) and #8674 (Coyote), both with TKO's. The transmission is 1-1/2 to 2 inches forward with the Coyote compared to the SBF. I will be fitting the engine/trans early in this build, before panels are permanently mounted, wiring/brake/fuel run, etc.

Thanks for the correction on the wheelbase. 96 was the number in my mind, so didn't look it up. Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed my post.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-16-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.