Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine won't start w/ pcv connected

Post Thanks / Like

engine won't start w/ pcv connected

I hope everyone here is doing well, i'm at the very end of my build and have an appointment w/ the DMV on December 8th, I went yesterday to my local autozone and got a PCV valve for the car. I installed the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover to the the 3/8" nipple at the back of the carburetor and on the driver side valve cover i connected it to the air filter. Now my car won't start with the pcv connected, once i disconnect it, it runs just fine and everything is good but the moment i reconnect the pcv valve to it, it shuts down. I tried readjusting the idle mixture screws but still nothing. any advice? Idk much about carburetors but i''m trying to do everything I can. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    When the engine runs, is the PCV port on the carb blocked off or wide open?

Post Thanks / Like
    When the engine starts the pcv port is wide open

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me that you may need to turn the idle adjustment to open the throttle and let the motor have a little bit more air at idle

The motor should run with or without the pvc port being open it will run rougher with the pvc port open and no pvc value because of the vacuum leak

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Sounds to me that you may need to turn the idle adjustment to open the throttle and let the motor have a little bit more air at idle

The motor should run with or without the pvc port being open it will run rougher with the pvc port open and no pvc value because of the vacuum leak

Rick
    You’re absolutely correct! I had the idle adjustment done incorrectly since my pcv port was open and it was seeing a massive vacuum leak. I ended up plugging that port and readjusting everything and it fired right up and now I’m adjusting the idle mixture with a vacuum gauge to get it running good, thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed an adjustable PCV on my car. (302 w/carburetor). I bought one from ME Wagner. There is a couple of good articles on their website about the challenges of selecting PCV valves for non-OEM engines, like ours. http://mewagner.com/

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD56 View Post
    I installed an adjustable PCV on my car. (302 w/carburetor). I bought one from ME Wagner. There is a couple of good articles on their website about the challenges of selecting PCV valves for non-OEM engines, like ours. http://mewagner.com/
    Very Cool & Makes Perfect Sense!
    Didn't Know These Even Existed!
    Thanks For Sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3/8" port at the bottom rear of the carburetor is for vacuum for power brakes. Using it for PCV is, as mentioned, a massive vacuum leak.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the 3/8" port on the rear of my Quick Fuel for the PCV valve with no issues. The instructions for QF make reference to as a use for either power steering or PCV valve. If using it for a PCV valve and the engine does not run properly then there is likely a problem with the PCV valve. PCV valves can be tricky, refer to the articles above. I own several vintage mustang with this arrangement from the factory.

IMG_4677.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    If you installed a tee you could use the 3/8 port for both a brake booster and a pcv

Rick