Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Tulsa, Ok!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Tulsa, Ok!!!

Hello everybody.

My name is Luke and I'm new here. I'm planning on buying a kit pretty soon but my issue is that I'm unsure about the height fitment. I'm 6'3", 190lbs(yeah, yeah, tall & skinny lol) but I have a 36" inseam. I'd love to get some info or ideas from tall drivers alike to help decide which kit would be best for me. If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry.

Glad to be here and to get some help/knowledge from everybody!!😁

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, so many guys 6'3" around here. I can't remember the last 6'2" or 6'4" guy that made a post. On the upside, I've gathered a little from reading them. The ones without a top are the best bet, although pedals/firewall/seat position etc can be arranged/modified to give a couple extra inches. Plenty of folk your size end up comfortable. The new gen 3 type 65 has plenty of room on the inside, but can be challenging to get in and out of. Try to see if there are any close to you. Guys here generally like to show off their work and get new guys infected with the builder bug.

FTR, I'm 5'6" and finally thankful for it, lol.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The new Type-65 has a lot of room in it.
    My brother fitted pretty well when he sat in it at last year's Cruising The Emerald Coast event.
    Factory Five was a sponsor of the event and that was precisely why we went.
    He's 6'4" with a 36" inseam, with size 15 feet so he doesn't fit very well in my car.
    If you want to build a MK-4 or FIA, then reach out to David Hodgkins because he knows how to fit big dudes in these cars.
    Good Luck In Your Quest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Luke,
    I'm 6'6", 225, 37" inseam. I'm building a MKIV and had the same questions before I started. David Hodgkins let me sit in his "big guy" modified car at the Huntington Beach Cruise-In a few years ago and that convinced me that I could make it work.

There is an easy modification for the Wilwood pedal assembly for a couple inches of needed leg room. Kirkey seats give you more leg room and head room. There are a few more sheet metal modifications that I made for more comfort. My build thread shows a few of these mods.

Getting in and out is like getting into a fighter plane. Step on the seat, grab the steering wheel and the back frame of the seat and slip in. Can't just sit on the seat and swing your legs in like a daily driver. Overall, I am very happy with how I fit in the MKIV.

I was at SEMA and a potential customer, your height, sat in the Gen 3 Coupe. There is a technique to getting in and out of that car no matter how tall you are. After Dave Smith showed him how, he slipped right in. The Gen 3 has a dropped floor and a few other changes to give the driver more room than the previous models. You're 6'3" so you know that "more room" might be 1/2" but if its the right 1/2" it can make all the difference. I think you can fit in a Coupe as well.

I've sat in an unmodified 33 hot rod with an automatic. With Kirkeys and pedal modifications I'm confident I can make that work. The leg room is good but the foot box tapers so the longer your legs are the narrower it gets. I don't think I could safely drive a manual trans in a 33. I'm going to do some more research on the 33's as I'm considering one for my next project way down the road. If I build one of those I want a roof and I have not tried that yet.

No info for you on other models.

There aren't too many Gen 3's out there so if you are leaning in that direction I'd try to get to a show where FFR is exhibiting or take a trip to their show room. I know you can fit in a modified MKIV but whether or not you will enjoy it is a personal decision. I'm loving the build experience and can't wait to finish mine to get some real driving miles down. Plenty of people in the group willing to help.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!! Thanks for all of the welcome and the helpful suggestions.