Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ok I am on the diving board:)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I am on the diving board:)

Hi All,
    I have been a lurker while trying to figure out what my next car should be. I am not a young kid, was drag racing back in the 60's ( muscle cars yay)and I have been road racing at Road Atlanta, Barber, Roebling Road for the past few years. I recently sold my ZO6 and purchased a Porsche macan (surprising car) because I needed more seats.
    Truth is I have owned many different types of cars over all these years and I have grown weary of chasing speed and handling prowess. I just want a fun car. So I bounced around the notion of doing a transplant ls engine into the RX8, or getting a 3 rotor RX7 but after careful consideration those just wouldn't have the fun factor that I craved.
    So I kept thinking about the factory five cobra. I had seen a few at Road Atlanta etc and was impressed even if they didn't have an ABS. I like ABS.
    But now here we are. The Roadster I think will be my best choice. Love the styling, love the fact its a drivers car ( although I will miss ABS) and love the fact that I can tinker with it to my hearts content. I also like the visibility it provides as I love knowing what is around me.
    That being said I do plan on a MK4 chassis with IRS and wildwood brakes by this time next year.
    Great forum by the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jump in! You won't regret it.
    If you want a race car with modern convenience, go with a Coyote, performance brakes, and many have installed ABS too! (I would guess you can also install a traction package as part of the ABS). Power Steering is also a great option for these cars. The IRS is a bonus (I have the previous IRS option and really like it, as well as PS & PB.)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason you need to give up on ABS a few have done it. search around the forum a bit.
    seems like your on the right track (pun intended) create a mission plan of what you want the car to be and then you build to that plan. you wouldn't build a drag car and expect it corner well.
    I'm still in the planning stages as well the roadster is a great platform to build the car of your dreams on.
    Welcome to the forum

Chris AKA Gromit

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump!

Eventhough I'm having to replace a block I am still glad I made the leap.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

https://youtu.be/Vhbftk4AP4k

Join the fun as soon as you can because you won't regret it in the end.

Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olddragger View Post
    .....I just want a fun car....
    The cobra is definitely a fun car. Every time I go out, it cracks me up how many people smile, wave, and take pictures. I mean every time. It also gets me that I get out of the car with a smile on my face as well.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Jump! The water's very friendly with lots of us having fun. I had great fun in the Roadster pool and now enjoying the 818 pool. You've had a lot of cool cars but there's nothing like the thrill of driving a car you built yourself, your way, from a bare frame.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    People have done an ABS? I do have some things to learn then! I basically am familiar with the more modern day ABS/ESC/TC can bus systems but not the earlier models. This is a GOOD thing ----thanks Guys!
    AZ--that is a big part of it. That satisfaction is a big part.