Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roller Rockers

Post Thanks / Like

Roller Rockers

Are roller rockers louder than conventional rocker arms? Now that it's running smooth again (hitting on all 8) my hearing is focused elsewhere...
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, especially with American V8s, roller rockers are no louder than conventional rocker arms. I am not sure they are any quieter, but certainly no more noisy.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never noticed them to be noisy but then again, everything I had with roller rockers was a performance build and had an exhaust system that was loud enough to mask most everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    No. They are not louder.
    Solid lifters are louder than hydraulic, which is really mostly noise at the rockers.

Post Thanks / Like
    all modern engine run roller rockers. Also the rocker design can be noisy given a particular style. Comp cams makes a lighter high rev version that is all steel and thinner. They can chatter a bit. If you buy large aluminum roller rockers that are typical such as comp, scorpion, etc. The aluminum acts as a sound absorber because aluminum is not as dense a material. Almost quiets the rockers vs what I have run in the past. They dont have to be expensive either. Simple aluminum natural finish comp cam rockers in the 1.6 flavor were only 150 dollars for all eight in my engine build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are louder; Harland Sharp, AFR heads with stiff springs. Mine clatter, a mechanical sound
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    The "clattering" was reviewed by the engine builder and he says what I have is normal for the build, he did mention a exhaust leak @ header/head mount that could have contributed to my concern. Seem to hear some mechanical noise from the exhaust, any history with loose insides??
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    jwebb,

This is sorta funny now but wasn't at the time. Initially, they all seemed quiet and than they started getting louder as the lifters "pumped up" I guess. (Trickflow heads with Ford Racing/scropion roller rockers). I starting hearing a knocking sound, which horrified me since I assembled the engine. Anyway, touched the valve covers and could feel the knocking. Even though I had bought aluminum valve covers for roller rockers a few casting humps were being hit by a few of the rollers..... Ended up shaving those areas (two per cover) and everything seems fine again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear! Always nice when it’s the simple things