Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dmv problems

Post Thanks / Like

Dmv problems

I had an appointment today at the dmv in Norco, CA and they took all my papers went straight to a manager which called Sacramento to see if there’s any numbers left and had me wait for an hour then called me back up and said that they’re unable to process it and they need to send a copy of all my papers to Sacramento, why? They said they have no idea. I then asked to speak to the manager which then came to me and I explained the situation and told her about the memo and said this does not qualify for a SPCN because the certificate of origin states that it’s a 1965 replica and that doesn’t qualify for a spcn and the memo has nothing to do with it. I then asked what’s next and was told to wait 2 weeks to 2 month to get a letter from Sacramento on how I can get this registered???????? And she also mentioned this a completely assembled vehicle as in I bought it completed which I didn’t and I had all my receipts from factory five showing it’s a kit car. What do I do now?! This is so frustrating
    I had everything with me. Certificate of origin, application for title or registration form 343, statement of construction form 5036, factory five invoice, invoice for engine and transmission and everything was filled out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Find another DMV office, that knows what their doing.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Cobrajj. I spoke with my friend in Atlanta yesterday with a similar situation. He went to another office and they processed it right thru.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    they made copies and sent it to sacramento and gave me back the originals, thank you. I'll go ahead and go to another dmv office and try to get that taken care off. Anyone from California knows of a good dmv thats familiar with sb100?
    Last edited by alaaelsheikh; 12-08-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently finished sb100. What you ask for at the start is SPCN registration, registration for a specially constructed vehicle. That should at least point them into the right direction what to do. I ran into a few problems with them not giving me a number on the first visit despite them needing to do that. make sure you get that number from them on the first visit. when you first check in at the front desk it would be a good idea to start the conversation by asking for someone familiar with spcn reg. The other thing i made sure to do was to go to a dmv where i knew other people live who also registered spcn cars, basically a welthy area. In my case los gatos. As said before, even though they handle 20 or so a year there they still messed up the paperwork several times. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    My build site : www.ScootinThunder33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    the key point that also should have been brought up with them is that there isn't a vin associated with the car and that being the reason you need to do this process.
    My build site : www.ScootinThunder33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an excellent thread in here posted by Boat737 (thanks to Boat737) on SB100 registration in Cali. Search for SB100 and find the thread "California SB100 Title and Registration" by Boat737.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my SB100 process that I did this year starting in January. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Registration I used the San Pedro DMV, and all went pretty good. Although, it did take 10 months to finally get my plates, which I just picked up today as a matter of fact.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just curious on why it took 10 months for plates to arrive. I’m starting the process in a couple of weeks.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    Just curious on why it took 10 months for plates to arrive. I’m starting the process in a couple of weeks.
    First set was spaced wrong. Second set came in bent. Third set today OK. Finally.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Here's my SB100 process that I did this year starting in January. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Registration I used the San Pedro DMV, and all went pretty good. Although, it did take 10 months to finally get my plates, which I just picked up today as a matter of fact.
    Do you mind if I message you with a few questions? thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all. PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohooo! Quick update: went to the dmv in Rancho Cucamonga and after 4+ hours I finally walked away with a permit till January 30th and a spcn number!!!! What a stressful thing to deal with. I had a younger lady at the counter that was clueless but she was willing to help no matter what so I believe I got lucky with this one as everyone else was a bit grumpy. Do I wait to get the spcn number in the mail or can I use the number they gave me to make an appointment with the chp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good, congratulations. I would say call the CHP to make the appointment, and tell them that you have a SB100 sequence number assigned, but that you have not received the certificate of sequence number in the mail yet. (You should get that in 10 days, maybe 2 weeks.) See what the CHP says. If nothing else, make the appointment for 2 or 3 weeks from now, and you should have the cert by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need the spcn for the chp appt. I didn't get number til after the chp appt. You will need it to make a BAR appt. I just finished my SB100 process... You're past the hardest part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Anyone have a suggestion for a DMV office that is knowledgeable about the SB100 near or in South Ventura County?
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    DMV in Thousand Oaks was a breeze.
    Be sure to make an appointment to get out quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    I's worry that there still may be further delays, since the first dmv already sent all the paperwork to Sacramento. Won't that possibly botch thinks up?
    You might end up with two different VIN numbers..

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that doesn’t happen because that will definitely cause some problems, the first dmv just made copies and faxed them to Sacramento and gave me the originals back. Hopefully I won’t have problems later on

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    DMV in Thousand Oaks was a breeze.
    Be sure to make an appointment to get out quicker.
    Thanks, only 10 miles away. Calling for appointment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update, I had 2 appointments today one for the alignment and right after it the CHP inspection. Good news for once both went flawlessly and the alignment made a HUGE difference in the car! CHP inspection has been the easiest so far, it took less than 10 minutes, now the bad news, I just got home and realized the officer marked on the replica box as No, and he also didn’t give me a VIN sticker? Am I gonna have issues down the line? He did write the VIN the same as the F5 serial number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the paperwork (probably the DMV form REG 124). He should have written the new VIN in a box provided for that. If it is the same (exactly) as your FFR frame number, you should be good to go. If not, then yeah, you need a sticker (blue I think) with the VIN stamped on it. My CHP inspector used the FFR frame number, so no sticker. If he didn't write down any VIN, then probably have to call back and ask him. As for the "Replica" designation, I'll have to dig out my paperwork and see what was on mine. Stand by.
    Last edited by boat737; 12-19-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or perhaps you could buy a second home in Arizona and get the whole registration process done in 2 hours at the AZ DMV for 1/4 the cost!! Good luck in your continuing challenges with the "Peoples Republic of California" DMV!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alaaelsheikh View Post
    Just a quick update, I had 2 appointments today one for the alignment and right after it the CHP inspection. Good news for once both went flawlessly and the alignment made a HUGE difference in the car! CHP inspection has been the easiest so far, it took less than 10 minutes, now the bad news, I just got home and realized the officer marked on the replica box as No, and he also didn’t give me a VIN sticker? Am I gonna have issues down the line? He did write the VIN the same as the F5 serial number.
    He put the factory five serial number as the vin number, my only concern is the part that says replica yes or no and he marked no. Hopefully it won’t be a big deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Or perhaps you could buy a second home in Arizona and get the whole registration process done in 2 hours at the AZ DMV for 1/4 the cost!! Good luck in your continuing challenges with the "Peoples Republic of California" DMV!!
    Hahaha seriously! I could’ve got the keys to the new house in Arizona already

Post Thanks / Like
    I just checked my DMV Form REG 124, and the CHP inspector did check YES in the replica box. So... Not sure if it's a problem or not. When you go to the bar, Make sure you have it completed by BODY STYLE YEAR (and not by engine block year). The body style year is where the smog requirements for 1965 cars comes in.

Maybe some other info for you. On my REG 343 form, I put "Roadster, MK4" as the model/series, and "1965 Cobra" as the Body Type Model. My SB100 number certificate showed SPCNS as Make, 2017 as year first sold, and RD as BTM when it showed up in the mail. Looks like the RD took precedence over "1965 Cobra" in the BTM (Body Type Model) in my case.
    Last edited by boat737; 12-19-2017 at 10:04 PM.