Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gps speedometer

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the process of changing my original MK3 speedhut speedometer to the gps upgrade. I like the pic in the thread placing the antenna on the PS windshield support. Speedhut recommends placing the antenna where it has a clear view of the sky. Does the hood interfere with reception when place in the location shown in the pic. Thanks for any info.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I placed mine on the windshield support on drivers side, works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    No issues with mine on the passenger mount.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 342Stroker View Post
    I'm in the process of changing my original MK3 speedhut speedometer to the gps upgrade. I like the pic in the thread placing the antenna on the PS windshield support. Speedhut recommends placing the antenna where it has a clear view of the sky. Does the hood interfere with reception when place in the location shown in the pic. Thanks for any info.

Paul
    The fiberglass doesn't affect the signal. As many have said, that location works fine. A different body material, e.g. metal, wouldn't be the case. I now have 10K miles between the Roadster and now the Coupe with the antenna in a similar location under the body. Other than a very occasional dip when going under a freeway bridge, the GPS speedos have been flawless. Given that there's no speed sensor wiring or calibration required regardless of transmission, rear diff, tires, etc. they're an excellent setup based on my experience.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 cobras with the GPS Speedometer and have absolutely no problem with either, other than a small bump on needle when going under over passes. The features alone are worth the install. Clocks your zero to 60 automatically, Quarter mile automatically as well as many other features. I strongly recommend it. Easy install and no cable to run. What's not to like? I have run my cars through local radar locations and the speed is always right on with the radar read. Not sure what he means by speed catching up? Even if it did catch up, how long are we talking about? Micro seconds?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine mounted same as EdwardB....no issues for me. Seems to acquire signal quickly. I am up in Canada (Winnipeg area) and have taken my cobra 2h north into some pretty heavy bush country, have not noticed any signal drop or lag. Have played with the 0-60 features and 1/4 mile times. nice little feature to have incorporated into the speedo....tough to get it to hook but that's not the GPS's problem.

...and yes when you are doing second gear burnouts, the speedo does not register any speed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Also might add Winnipeg is roughly 50 degrees N latitude....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12