Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Protecting an LS3 from oil starvation on the track...

Post Thanks / Like

Protecting an LS3 from oil starvation on the track...

I'm only on the track a few days a year, but I like to push it pretty hard. I really don't want to blow up my LS3 (525hp).
    I'm willing to go dry sump, but it seems really complex.
    Accusump is an option, but it certainly has its limitations.

What about the Improved Racing Baffled Racing Oil Pan for LS2 / LS3 C6 Corvette [Part # EGM-414]? Would this fit our chassis (I'm certainly willing to modify the chassis)? Does it decrease ground clearance? Not cheap at $800, but it is RELATIVELY cheap.
    Anyone running this pan or another baffled pan?
    I'm running a Champ Pan on my DOHC 4.6 in the roadster and really like it.
    Thanks!
    Dave
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very curious myself on this. I'm planning on some track time also and want to make sure there's no problems. The GTM can pull some G's...

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 biggest issues with dry sump are potentially losing A/C, possibly needing a different camshaft, and not getting the oil up to temp with street driving...
    I see that Accusump has a standard 3qt accumulator, and a high pressure version of the 3qt. Which is recommended? I have room for the larger high pressure version if it's recommended...
    Maybe thinking Accusump plus the Improved Racing pan, need to see if that pan would even fit. They do have a baffled C5 batwing pan for $1200, interesting that their track oil pressure data plot is the exact same data for their C6 pan, so who knows which pan they actually were running when they pulled the data...
    They Improved Racing pans are modified stock pans.
    C6 pan won't fit the GTM, correct?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest a 2 quart Accusump due to size restrictions (length). Check out the oil cooler adaptor with thermostat and third port for Accusump.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...ump-p-785.html
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Improved Racing products do work really well. If you can't get one of their pans to fit, they do offer a set of drop in baffles for a variety of different factory and aftermarket pans as well as some universal baffles if you're up to doing some fab work.

An Accusump works in areas with tight space constraints and no option for a dry sump as well. We run them on wet sump C5 chassis that see road race and autocross use, especially cars that see a lot of time on a concrete autocross courses.

A dry sump is going to be your best bet hands down, but can be cost prohibitive. Aviaid and Daily Engineering both make great systems but can get extremely expensive.